Minimum Operating Radius for an HO Bachmann 4-8-2 Mountain Loco?

Started by DAndrews, September 14, 2014, 08:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAndrews

Good Day Folks,  Doing some layout design decisions and I have two HO Bachmann 4-8-2 Light Mountain Locos.  My question is will these locos perform reliably on a 24 inch radius curve?  Secondly what is the minimum radius curve that these locos will negotiate smoothly and without derailment?  Thanks in advance for your experience and replies on this one.  Best,  Doug Andrews.

union pacific 4014

i have 4-8-4's i run them on 22''radius curve  with no problems i believe 4-8-2's will run on 24'' and 22'' radius curve  fine   

DAndrews

Thx 4014 for your reply.  Appreciate the benefit of your experience.  On the 4-8-2 I noticed it was designed with some lateral play in each of the drive wheel axles -- I think that is what allows it to do a 22 or 24 inch curve as you indicate.  If anyone else out there has experience I would appreciate it too.  Thanks 4014 and the group.  Best,  Doug Andrews.

jonathan

My 4-8-2s (Heavy) run easily on 22" radius curves.  However, I only run them on my outside loop which has 24" minimum curves.

Regards,

Jonathan

Irbricksceo

I'm just curious, what are the differences between the heavy and light mountains?
Modeling NYC in N

ebtnut

In essence, the overall size of the boiler and greater weight.  The heavy locos were almost 13 tons heavier than the lights.  Here's a link to loco data for both light and heavy:
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mountain/?page=usra

DAndrews

Thanks all for your replies.  It looks as though I can safely use a 22 or 24 inch min radius for my new layout design and be safe with my Bachmann 4-8-2's.  As it turns out there are two such curves both of which are going to be hidden so appearance issues are not critical -- just reliable operation and no derailments are critical. 

Makes me think though that I need to check min radius for my other locos and rolling stock.  I've got the NMRA standards for all that around here somewhere.  Anyway thanks again to all in the group and if you have any more insights they will be most appreciated.  Best,  Doug Andrews.