Help Appreciated - Locomotive Stops on Bachmann EZ Track Remote Switch

Started by BSchneid, September 16, 2014, 10:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BSchneid

Good day, recently I purchased a Bachmann "Frontiersman" N scale train set for my son's 9th Birthday, and looking at the back of the box also purchased some extra EZ Track Remote switches (44862 and 44861) to build the first recommended layout pictured.

Well, every single time the 4-4-0 Jupiter locomotive stops on the top switch in the pic included below - apparently on the "frog" when coming in from the straight rail only through the top of the switch "Y" (found this out after much investigating).

Read the back of the switch package where it explains "powering the frog" and rewired the switch as per.

Funnily enough "eureka!" it worked - for about five laps, and then it did the same thing over again.

Any help would be much appreciated - the back of the switch package suggests the wheelbase of the locomotive might be the problem - but if this is the case why on earth would a variation of this layout be pictured not once, but FOUR TIMES on the back of the box?

Regards,

BSchneid

BSchneid

Sorry folks, site wouldn't let me upload the 100 kb pic, hopefully my description is good enough!
Thanks!

richg

Quote from: BSchneid on September 16, 2014, 10:57:57 PM
Sorry folks, site wouldn't let me upload the 100 kb pic, hopefully my description is good enough!
Thanks!

There is a N scale forum here,

You need a photo hosting site like Photo Bucket to upload photos here. Use the fourth option. IMG. Copy and paste to the forums.

http://photobucket.com/

Rich

NarrowMinded

The locomotive maybe lifting on one side and not making good contact you will have to look very close to see if this is happening sometimes material has to be removed from the frog or track to make them level.

It woild be best is you used an electrical meter to make sure both rails have power.

Not a cure here but a trouble shooting technique I have used is to tape some weights on the top of the loco (nickles) then see if it will run through the switch, the added weight keeps.the wheels in contact with the rails.

Once I determine it is a wheel lifting problem then I work on the switch.

NM-Jeff