Assigning one address to two Bachmann locomotives

Started by Elnovato, September 26, 2014, 09:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elnovato

Hi all. I saw a video where it is shown how to assign the same address to two (DCC on board) Bachmann locomotives (to have two locos pulling one set of cars of course). What is not said is if you can control light functions separately for each loco. My guess is you cannot. Also, what if one of the locos has DCC and sound but the other does not? Can you still blow the horn or ring the bell on the one equipped? Is the Bachmann system capable of identifying that one of the two locos on the same address is sound equipped but the other is not? If not, which one "dominates"?
El Novato

jonathan

El Novato,

I regularly double-head DCC Locomotives on my Club's modular layout at train shows.  I address ALL my train show locomotives to the same address, #27.  Weird, I know, but it works for me. 

I run sound locomotives with other sound locomotives.  Hence, pushing the sound buttons triggers the sounds on both locomotives.  The light button will turn the lights on and off on both locos, BUT it is possible to get out of sync, so you can have the light on for just the lead locomotive.  When you place the rear loco on the track, turn its light off.  Then place the front loco on the track with it's light already set to "on". Voila.

I have never run a sound with a non-sound loco, but it stands to reason the sound buttons will still work, even though a non-sound loco is running with it.

The only problem that could come-in-to-play is the two locos not running at the same speed.  This can be tuned with a CV-savvy somebody who can help you with that. No reason you can't do it; just may require a but of tweaking.

One can also get the chuffs out of sync, which is cool, iinvolves the timing of the placement of the locos on the track.  I find, eventually the locos get back in sync again.

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on September 26, 2014, 09:27:48 AM
El Novato,

I regularly double-head DCC Locomotives on my Club's modular layout at train shows.  I address ALL my train show locomotives to the same address, #27.  Weird, I know, but it works for me. 

I run sound locomotives with other sound locomotives.  Hence, pushing the sound buttons triggers the sounds on both locomotives.  The light button will turn the lights on and off on both locos, BUT it is possible to get out of sync, so you can have the light on for just the lead locomotive.  When you place the rear loco on the track, turn its light off.  Then place the front loco on the track with it's light already set to "on". Voila.

I have never run a sound with a non-sound loco, but it stands to reason the sound buttons will still work, even though a non-sound loco is running with it.

The only problem that could come-in-to-play is the two locos not running at the same speed.  This can be tuned with a CV-savvy somebody who can help you with that. No reason you can't do it; just may require a but of tweaking.

One can also get the chuffs out of sync, which is cool, iinvolves the timing of the placement of the locos on the track.  I find, eventually the locos get back in sync again.

Regards,

Jonathan

Why not just "consist" them?  You can "consist" on the main, that way, only the lead loco's lights will be on and only the lead loco's bell and whistle/horn will sound.

Cheers

Roger T.

jonathan

Don't know how to consist with my UT-4R throttle (the little one).  Haven't splurged on a DT-400 fancy-shmancy throttle.   ;D  Gotta cut corners somewhere so I can afford locomotives.  This is not an endorsement or detractor of Digitrax.  Just so happens that's what our Club uses for our DCC system.

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on September 28, 2014, 07:48:17 AM
Don't know how to consist with my UT-4R throttle (the little one).  Haven't splurged on a DT-400 fancy-shmancy throttle.   ;D  Gotta cut corners somewhere so I can afford locomotives.  This is not an endorsement or detractor of Digitrax.  Just so happens that's what our Club uses for our DCC system.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan.

I just Googled your throttle and it seems it doesn't consist, locos need to be previously consisted using a more advanced throttle.  :(

I get spoiled with two NCE PowerCab throttles.  However, I do want to eventually get at least one wireless throttle.  You have the advantage over me there.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

Elnovato

Thanks! I guess I omitted a useful peace of information: I have an EZ Command DCC controller. Also, I am a newcomer to this great hobby and have not yet bought a sound loco. I was thinking Bachmann's Boston and Maine Alco RS3 for my freight train, and the Baltimore and Ohio Alco FA2 for my passenger train. I want to combine each with my DCC on board (no sound) Alco and Baldwin locos, respectively. I might wait a bit instead if I cannot combine sound/no sound locos without losing sound functions if on the same address.

electrical whiz kid

I have a pair of Bachmann EMD E-6s, and have them set up to run back-to-back with two NCE standard decoders.  I am going to install sound in one of them.  It will work, as long as you do not overload your power unit.
Rich C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on September 30, 2014, 08:28:08 PM
I have a pair of Bachmann EMD E-6s, and have them set up to run back-to-back with two NCE standard decoders.  I am going to install sound in one of them.  It will work, as long as you do not overload your power unit.
Rich C.

I've done something similar with two of my G.E.R F7A units, each of which is consisted with a Bachmann C.N.R. sound equipped FA-2 as a pair of two unit consists.  I have the C.N.R. FA-2 units as trailing units and the consist addresses are the numbers of the leading G.E.R. F7A units.  Yes I know GMD and MLW units sound different but this is a good temporary solution to get sound FX until I get the F7As equipped with sound decoders.  If I can get a couple of my RS-3s equipped with cheap decoders, then they will replace the FA7s and sound much better.  :)

The reasons the C.N.R. units are trailing are the east and west through freights the consists power are jointly operated G.E.R and C.N.R. freights so the G.E.R. units are always on point when operating over G.E.R. trackage.

Cheers

Roger T.