News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC compatibility

Started by stationmaster12, October 01, 2014, 10:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiiho

Doneldon's comments are excellent points. I used the Dynamis for several years and still keep it as a backup.
I upgraded beyond the Dynamis for two main reasons. My new system allows connection to my computer and the new system will  read CV's.
If those are not requirements then the Dynamis is a very good option. In my opinion the EZ Command is a little limited for use with most sound locomotives. It is fine for the Bachmann Sound Vaue units but is quite limited for any sound units beyond that. I did a lot of shopping and was able to obtain my Dynamis for what I considered a very, very good price.
I still say and have researched it extensively, since I have several MTH locomotives that the negatives are FAR blown out of proportion. As I said in a previous post, the major thing that I have encountered is that the MTH locomotives must be "Programmed on the Main". A Service mode or program track will just not work with them as yet; although MTH has promised an upgrade that will correct that issue. I can honestly say that I have run into no other problem. For this, the Dynamis is MORE than sufficient.

I have heard that advanced consisting is not useable when using DCC to control MTH locos, but that is something I rarely use and have never needed with my MTH locos. Additionally, the old consist wil work fine and works great with the Dynamis. If you still have doubts, do what I did; a lot of RESEARCH!

ACY

I have 4 MTH SD70ACe locomotives with DCS and sound. If you intend to utilize a variety of sounds then a more advanced DCC system would be ideal. If you only operate MTH locomotives you could buy their DCS system I suppose which would give you maximum functionality. However I have found advanced DCC systems to be more than adequate with sufficient compatibility for most people. With that said I think most would find the abilities of the EZ Command system to be a bit lacking, mainly because MTH locomotives have 20-30 sound functions while the Bachmann EZ Command only has 10 buttons. It would not make sense to use a budget DCC system with a locomotive with advanced capabilities, where the locomotive retails for $300+. Otherwise why have a locomtive with 30 sound effects if you can't use over two thirds of them. The Dynamis system would be certainly adequate in my opinion for use with MTH sound equipped locomotives.

stationmaster12

Hey guys,
All of you make excellent points. The reason I am considering the EZ Command is because of it price point. Yes I have a MTH SD70ACe, but it was a gift. I did not pay for it. I do not have the budget to support a plethora of sound locos  and the latest gadgets. If funds were not an option I'd buy the MTH DCS Commander and a MRC prodigy Squared system. That being said the EZ command is very appealing  to me at this time.
Keep God first in all that you do.

rogertra

Actually, if you want the "best" DCC system with the least amount of problems and the most flexibility, then the NCE system is the way to go.

And yes, I'm biased.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.