Reference pics: Mines, mills, weathering and much more

Started by Ray Dunakin, September 29, 2014, 01:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I finally finished posting a report on my latest adventure, exploring old mines and ghost towns in Nevada and the Mojave desert:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Nevada_Trip_2014_Part_One.html

Lots of good modeling reference here, especially mines, mills, etc. Railroad-related items of interest include a cabin made from a narrow gauge box car at Buckhorn Mine, and a wooden Las Vegas & Salt Lake RR caboose at Rhyolite. I also got detailed photos of a Skagit B-20 Logging and Loading Donkey, which was being used to operate a steep aerial tram at the Gray Eagle Mine.

I've also added a lot of new photos to my Modeler's Resource pages:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Modelers_Resource.html

These are images of weathered wood, metal, steel drums, and much more -- all great reference for modeling and weathering.
Visit www.raydunakin.com for photos, step-by-step articles and other information about the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

the Bach-man

Wow, Ray!
These are great!
Thanks so much for sharing!
the Bach-man

Ray Dunakin

Thanks!

BTW, one of the more amusing things I saw on this trip was an open-air toilet made from a small steel drum (looked like about 20-30 gallons), with a toilet seat bolted to it, and handles made from horseshoes:

I can't help wondering why it needed handles -- perhaps to keep the user from "blasting off"??

I may try modeling one of these for a mine on my railroad. An O-scale 55-gallon drum would probably be just about the right size in 1/24th.
Visit www.raydunakin.com for photos, step-by-step articles and other information about the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

jbrock27

My guess, proabably to be able to carry it somewhere to dump the contents.
Ever see the movie "Platoon"?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Ray Dunakin

After thinking about it a bit, my guess is that the handles are so it can easily be moved when the shallow hole fills up. (The bottom of the can is cut out.)

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: jbrock27 on October 04, 2014, 03:08:15 PM
Ahh.  I did not know the drum was "bottomless"...

Jim and Ray-

I guess it only has a bottom when someone is sitting on it,

-- D

Ray Dunakin