News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

TWO ' MODERNIZED 4-4-0 ' guestions

Started by MarkInLA, October 10, 2014, 07:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

::) Yeah, I lowered chuffs and slightly lowered bell ( which several already now; mine came with NO Bell !). Then I also changed whistle type, CV115> 2. It's better. I know big old O scale Lionel whistles really are loud and tonally correct as I/we've heard them in train stores..But I think this is mainly due to having a huge speaker/s and more logic in the decoder. But then why is it my Koss ear buds enable THEE deepest and loudest bass notes as if I'm in front of an 18" stereo woofer ! These speakers surely would fit in an HO shell/diesel/tender !! Instead, in engines they are the cone in a round or oval 1" metal frame type, like early car or home radios had; little bass !

Joe Satnik

Hi, Mark.

There is a lot less air to move in your ear canal than in a room. 

You should study acoustics and loudspeaker building. 

Put a receiver and sub-woofer under your layout,

then send your loco's sound signal to it using

a small, low power radio transmitter (modulator) mounted in the loco or tender.

Your ears (stereo hearing) can't easily locate the source of bass sounds,

while mid-range and treble sounds from the loco or tender speaker can

easily be followed.

This combo should then give you the auditory illusion of having bass sounds

coming from the loco.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik         

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

MarkInLA

Joe, thanks for studious reply. Not sure if I understand it all. I was getting at why is the whistle anemic in one HO Bach engine and strong in another. Gosh, when you put those youtube videos of 1:1 steam you really get a blast of what it should sound like. I love the type which starts low and long then bends up to an elongated toot(high pitch but drawn out) OOOOOOwheeeee ! Or the staccato toot toot in yard or station stops. And, to me the whistle should be the loudest sound effect, followed by chuffs/clanks, then bell.....
Anyway, I still don't get why my Koss ear buds can sound like you're at some disco club in the 70s with that real deep boom boom boom boom bass pounding all night. Their speakers are smaller than the ones in most HO engines. I do know that it is also contingent upon the type of amplifier/circuitry too, though.
Your suggestion would be great if I didnt have to demolish my 35' HO switchback RR branch line in about 8-9 Mons. due to newest landlord using the Ellis Act to vacate me (please search Ellis Act to know what's unfairly happening to me after 19 years in this apartment by a landlord 30 yrs my junior and owning building only 1-5 yrs. !) I don't know where am going to wind up. Other than a large relocation fee for me now in escrow, I get very little social security and I don't have a rich girlfriend. But thanks for ideas. I think I see what you mean. Bass spreads far and wide on the ground almost, where treble is piercing and clear. So speaker in mid of layout can be made to give that low rumble of an engine and thus doesn't need to be on the engine itself to give the necessary illusion....But, what happens when 2 or more engines are running and are using the transmitter/receiver set up ?! Especially if one is in front of you and others are across the the river a scale 2 mi. away say ?   

Joe Satnik

Hi, Mark.

Ear bud question already answered in my previous post's first sentence.

Similar to inflating a small paper bag vs. inflating a large air mattress with your breath.   

2 HO scale miles is about 120 feet.  That's one impressive layout.

You'd have to have a different channel for each loco.

Multiple subwoofers along the route using signal strength (distance between transmitter and receiver) as volume control. 

Perhaps too complicated on a large layout.  Much simpler on a small layout using one subwoofer at a constant volume.

Large or small, much simpler to describe than implement.         

Sorry about your having to move.  Even buying a house can be temporary if you end up having to move for your job.   

A deceased friend's family is talking about tearing out his (walk-in along-the-wall U-shaped 11' x 27' 3-Rail-O gauge) basement layout to sell the house.

It would be an asset if you could find a 3RO model train enthusiast as a buyer.

For many house buyers, though, it's not.   

All Gargraves track and switches (absolutely gorgeous compared to Lionel tinplate) ballasted down with Elmer's glue and grit.     

Beautiful murals painted on the walls.

His son suggested he make it modular (i.e., removable), but he didn't.

Hope your relocation goes smoothly.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ALCO0001

Did you turn on the EQ and try to adjust that way ?The one I had so much power it blew the speaker at a fault of my own for the reverbe if too hi along with everthing else too hi will do this.Take care when doing this.
Jack