News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale Norfolk & Western Class J

Started by rbasmagy, October 02, 2014, 09:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbasmagy

I recently was given an N&W Class J Loco running in DC.  I want to convert to DCC but the Engine is not DCC ready.  Where do I start?

rbasmagy

Thanks for the quick response Mike.  My problem is that the Loco is not DCC ready.  Need to start from scratch.  Thanks again for the help.

gatrhumpy

You have to isolate the motor. Run the wires to the tender and hook them up to the decoder.

skipgear

If it is the older version, I'm not sure I would put the effort into DCC. The current version (last 5-6 years) is DCC ready.

The older ones were notorious for axles cracking and parts are no longer an option. Even if it runs well now, it probably won't after some use.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

RGW

I agree with skipgear I had the older J. Ran bad and it seemed to be a bit over scale ( it been many year ago so I might be wrong) I have 2 new release Js and think there are great. I think you might be disappointed with the results  with the older version.

One of my New Js is no longer DCC ready The wires between the tender and engine went bad because I removed the shell too many time when I was painting it into Milw  Hiawatha colors 
I soldered my own wires ( only 2 ) between the tender and engine using the two printed circuit boards.( Very,Very frustrating, the contacts are really close to each other)  I burned out the head light and now after a year I have a short in the wires.I Will bypass the circuit boards .

So maybe it could be a new 2006 version if some one had a wiring problem.