News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scale HO vs OO

Started by stationmaster12, November 05, 2014, 09:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stationmaster12

Hello all,
The Thomas the Tank engine line that Bachman produces, Are those trains in HO of OO scale? The reason I ask is because I have developed an interest in European style trains and I think a lot of the Thomas stuff is of European nature. Tanks!!
Keep God first in all that you do.

the Bach-man

Dear Stationmaster,
Many of the wagons are based on 00 British outline equipment.
The characters, of course, are approximate scale (What scale, for instance, is Mickey Mouse?)...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rogertra

None of the "Thomas stuff" is of a "European nature", it's all British, which is completely not European, as any Brit will tell you.

Therefore, it should all be to 4mm to the foot scale Vs the European scale of 3.5mm to the foot.

Almost all the equipment used is based on actual British locomotives, carriages and wagons and all are recognisable prototypes, even Thomas.

Cheers

Roger T.

stationmaster12

Hey rogertra,
Thank you. I hope I did not offend anyone. I'm just trying to understand these kinds of trains. I've always had HO North American style trains. But I've developed an interest on them. I really like them.
Thanks again!!

Doneldon

StaMast-

You probably know this but, in case you don't, the Thomas trains derive from a long series of children's stories written by an English pastor. The pieces all have different personalities and the stories all have a simple lesson. Usually it's something like don't be greedy or don't be overly proud. The offending car or locomotive typically learns the errors of his/her ways and then the stories end happily.

My grandchildren love the Thomas stories and characters. They like to act them out with their trains and were delighted when I made or found pieces which aren't available as manufactured ones. For example, I made a lighted Chinese dragon car and bought some HO cows. (NB: I think the dragon is now manufactured but it isn't lighted which is an important part of the story.) However, my grandkids have non-electric trains except for a few battery powered locos; they seem to prefer these to regular HO trains because they can push them around the tracks or just on the floor without damaging them. Tomy/Tomica (plastic) and Melissa and Doug (wood) make non-powered Thomas items which are MUCH, MUCH more affordable than the Wooden Trains brand without sacrificing quality. Tomy's trains have an awkward coupler arrangement but Melissa and Doug have the same kind of magnetic couplers as the Wooden Train.

I built two Thomas layouts with Tomy/Tomics trains. These turned out to be the little boys' favorite toys for a couple of years. I'm now building a third layout, this one with Melissa and Doug products. The recipient of that already plays with the trains on the floor and he loves them.

IMHO, it's far better to start with the non-electric trains. They don't present the problems of electric train's fragility in terms of either breakage or operational issues. They will tell you if your child or grandchild like trains. If so, it's easy to upgrade to regular electric HO trains. (There are also large-scale Thomas trains but they are pricey and, while sturdier than HO, likely to require some adult attention to keep them running.) I prefer Bachmann Thomas electric trains because they capture the flavor of the Thomas stories, are well made, and have nice little features like eyes hat move when he train rolls down the track.

On the other hand, it sounds like these trains may actually be for you. If so, ignore my remarks above. I think an adult would quickly tire of the juvenile flavor of Thomas and his friends. Go for real British/European trains if that is what you like.

Whatever you do, welcome to model railroading. Over 50 years in the hobby tell me you'll find it fascinating.
                                                                                                                                                               -- D

P.S. The small Bachmann trains are sorta-like HO. They run on HO track but there is a lot of permission taken in designing the equipment. This is fitting for what are essentially toys.

stationmaster12

Hey donelon,
I appreciate your reply. The main reason I was asking is because I like those British trains. and I'm not sure if they are readily available here in the US. So I was looking to the Thomas line from Bachman as possible candidates for a British style layout. That is why I posed the question of HO vs OO "scale". I figured if could pick up on ebay a used British type loco from whatever manufacturer and some Bachman Thomas cars, I have a convincing (if not just for me) British style train to run on my HO layout. But then that brings up more question...about gauges, couplers so on so on. I'm exited to learn more about all of those trains. I'm learning about Bachman Euro, Bachman China, other brands like Hornby, Lima, and Märklin. I'm very exited indeed! So any knowledge anyone here is willing to shape, please I welcome it. After over 30 years in the hobby, I finally find myself exited about model trains again. I think my interest in the hobby has definitely taken an international turn! LOL

Doneldon

stamast-

The European trains can be interesting, all right. I suppose a lot of it is their unfamiliar appearance.

Be careful with Marklin. They run on HO track but it's three rail (like Lionel) because Marklin trains operate on AC.

-- D