News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound value vs spectrum

Started by jimele, November 09, 2014, 06:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimele

besides price, what is the difference in a sound value loco and a spectrum with sound?

rogertra

Off hand, and based on my experience with the Sound Value 2-6-0 and the FA-2, I'd say the Spectrum locos are far better detailed.

Cheers

Roger T.

Bucksco

I would venture to say that the original posters question has to do with the difference in sound. Sound value locomotives feature a sound chip that is built into the PCB that features a few less sounds than the full Tsunami sound decoder featured in Spectrum locomotives. They both feature 16 bit digital sound but the sound value board does not have some of the sounds like fireman Fred, coupler clank and water fill. Both sound decoders are manufactured by SoundTraxx in Colorado. As far as detailing is concerned yes the Spectrum models feature a higher level of detail which is why the cost a bit more.

rogertra

Quote from: Yardmaster on November 09, 2014, 08:44:59 PM
I would venture to say that the original posters question has to do with the difference in sound. Sound value locomotives feature a sound chip that is built into the PCB that features a few less sounds than the full Tsunami sound decoder featured in Spectrum locomotives. They both feature 16 bit digital sound but the sound value board does not have some of the sounds like fireman Fred, coupler clank and water fill. Both sound decoders are manufactured by SoundTraxx in Colorado. As far as detailing is concerned yes the Spectrum models feature a higher level of detail which is why the cost a bit more.

This may come as a surprise to many, given my modelling choices, but I find the Sound Value sound system quite adequate for my needs.

I'm not interested in such gimmicks as Fireman Fred, water fill, coupler clash etc., etc..  Perhaps all I would ask for in sound value are the dynamo whine for steam and the "spitting" sound for a diesel as the air tank condensation relief valve operates every once in a while.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

And cv 113 too,to turn off the sound after a user-programmed interval.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on November 10, 2014, 10:44:28 PM
And cv 113 too,to turn off the sound after a user-programmed interval.

Yes, good suggestion.

Cheers

Roger T.