Iding manufacture of a sound system installed.

Started by darryl1936, November 15, 2014, 06:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darryl1936

I was asked how one would know who makes the sound systems that come with a Bachmann  engine or one that has been added later on. Is there a code number or something else. Inquiring minds like to know. Anyone?

Bucksco

All sound decoders that are factory installed by Bachmann are manufactured by SoundTraxx in Colorado. If I am not mistaken most are marked that way somewhere on the board.

darryl1936

Thanks for some help. Would the sound system have just numbers and no name?  A picture of a Bachmann system , chip, installed might help.   Does the number 49/08/44 have any meaning?   :)

Bucksco

It is possible that there could be just an item number and no name. Bachmann has produced many sound equipped locos so it would be impossible to account for all of them. Check out the decoder photo in this link - it shows the markings that occur on most new SoundTraxx decoders:
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/hobby-trains-and-parts/soundtraxx-tsu-c19-tsunami-pnp-dcc-sound-decoder-blackstone-hon3-c-19
If the decoder is a plug in it is possible that it could be another manufaxctuer's decoder - factory installed decoders are pretty obvious since they are hardwired into the PCB.

darryl1936

It has a 8 pin plug and a small speaker attached. No name anywhere ?   Oh well, someone might be able to figure who was the manufacture..   Many thanks,   :)

rogertra

Quote from: darryl1936 on November 16, 2014, 12:51:02 AM
It has a 8 pin plug and a small speaker attached. No name anywhere ?   Oh well, someone might be able to figure who was the manufacture..   Many thanks,   :)

If you down load and install JMRI it will not only enable you to easily program decoders but will also tell you the name and model number of your decoder.

JMRI also allows all kinds of other useful model paperwork and control to be installed, if you are so inclined.

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/download/index.shtml

AGSB

darryl1936

Thanks fellows.  I'll have to try your ideas soon.   :)