News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

couplers

Started by ELEKTRIKMAN, December 02, 2014, 08:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ELEKTRIKMAN

I am doing this for a friend I am a S Scale modeler this is why my friend asked me to do this ...I have been asked to install A tyco coupler onto a bachman ore car ,he wants to coupler the ore car behind his engine then connect the remainder of his bachman cares after that . I have everything apart but now the problem arises not very inter changeable  as I am sure everyone here knows but me being like I am  there must be a way so I am asking for a little help for all of you out there

jward

do you mean. install a horn hook type coupler in a car with a knuckle type coupler? if so, the tyco coupler won't work. the pivot hole is way too small, and due to its design there is no way to enlarge it. try a walthers horn hook coupler, those are designed for cars with a screw in mounting.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-995
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

While I would not bother with the time or finances to do this, is it not possible to use a drill bit and pin vise and make the pivot hole bigger to accomadate the screw?
Keep Calm and Carry On

ELEKTRIKMAN

Thank you both Jbrock27 I totally agree that is why I came here.  Jward that is exactly what i want to do and and just ordered the part thank you and this forum fo helping me out. I am a Pittsburgh person also born and raised right near the old B&O  round house in Glenwood  now reside out in westmoreland county....Hope you guys have a great holiday season.

Neil Hartung

jward

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 02, 2014, 09:56:47 AM
While I would not bother with the time or finances to do this, is it not possible to use a drill bit and pin vise and make the pivot hole bigger to accomadate the screw?

not possible to do this due to a different design of coupler shank.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/433-1410
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jward

Quote from: ELEKTRIKMAN on December 02, 2014, 10:09:51 AM
Thank you both Jbrock27 I totally agree that is why I came here.  Jward that is exactly what i want to do and and just ordered the part thank you and this forum fo helping me out. I am a Pittsburgh person also born and raised right near the old B&O  round house in Glenwood  now reside out in westmoreland county....Hope you guys have a great holiday season.

Neil Hartung

i did pretty much the opposite of you. i grew up in westmoreland county, and now live in rankin not too far from glenwood yard.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Thank you for the response on the coupler Jeff.
While I did nothing really to help you here ELEK, I would be glad to anytime in the future!
Keep Calm and Carry On

ebtnut

Hey, Elek:  If you have a chance, drop by the McKeesport club during their holiday open houses.  The club is on Walnut Street in the Christy Park neighborhood.  The open houses begin this weekend - Friday evenings and Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  I believe the exact hours are on Facebook. 

RAM

If I understand what you want to do, it would be easy to install a horn hook coupler into the Bachmann car, but not the Tyco coupler.  Any of the couplers that you could remove and replace with a kd#5 would work.