NEVER been able to swich an engine from the DDC factory #3 setting

Started by Bill1462, November 29, 2014, 12:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksco

Good to hear! Give the service department a call if you need us.

riff99

Just curious whether your Bachmann GG-1 was purchased new, or from someone who had the engine converted to a sound locomotive?  See if you can run the GG-1 under the address of #10 which is associated to DC analog locomotives.  Don't program it to #10, just select #10 on the controller and then try the GG-1.  Be cautious not to run it for too long, as the DCC controller is not meant to run DC engines as was stated from the Bachmann videos Yardmaster suggested (not Yardman as I posted earlier....sorry Yardmaster).  I'm positive there are DC engines that have sounds, but I obviously have yet to try one.  Perhaps the only sounds available to you by the decoder installed is the running sound.  As for your other locos, I have similar Bachmann A & B units as yours that I had sound decoders placed into both.  Each one I had changed their addresses to #9 so that they would run together.  To change the address for each, I made sure one locomotive was on the track alone.  All others were taken off.  Unit A was originally #3, so I made sure the #3 was pressed while the loco was on the track.  Once selected, I pressed down the #3 again WHILE pressing the stop button, then released them both.  The stop button should now be flashing fast.  Choose the new address # you want your loco to be on.  The loco moves noticeably to confirm it's changed to the new numbered address you chose.  Press the forward direction button (above the speed knob) to choose which way you want it to move initially, and then press the stop button again to exit the format.  Now select the new address # and see that it moves your A unit.  If all was successful, while on the new address #, stop the loco.  Press the other directional button (reverse) and verify if the loco can now move backwards.  If all goes well, stop to loco and remove it from the tracks.  Do the exact same procedure to Unit B making sure that you choose the same address # as Unit A so that they can run in tandem.  I'm thinking part of the problem was that you kept more than one locomotive on the track at one time while trying to reconfigure the new addresses.  I could be wrong, but it's a guess as I saw one of your responses say, "No, I only had one engine, the GG-1, on the track..."

If this doesn't work still, please try the support number Yardmaster suggested, or watch the videos carefully.  There's a bundle of info in there that taught me a lot about this controller and all its capabilities.  Also, can you post the model # of your analog controller?  If it's the one I'm thinking of, it can work in conjunction with your #44901 using a black cable that plugs from one controller into the other.  That way you gain an extra address (#10) while being able to use the analog controller to continue to run your DC locos.  One more thing, is there an ON/OFF slide switch on the back of the #44901?  I use that to turn off my controller during the day, but I always unplug it completely every night.  Good Luck!

Bill1462

Thank you for your response.

I bought all of those engines new with DCC already installed on them. I did get the GG-1 programed to position #1 and was able to get the engine sound going, but not all of the features. I can get the bell and the horn, but that's it. There is a list of sound features that came on a piece of paper with the unit, but I can't get them all to work. Oddly enough the headlights do not work on any of the DCC engines although they do work on the non DCC pieces.

So far as my DCC transformer goes, there is a label which reads, "Item # 44901" on the bottom. The front reads, "E-Z Command Control Center."

Hunt

Quote from: Bill1462 on December 01, 2014, 08:27:02 AM
. . . Oddly enough the headlights do not work on any of the DCC engines although they do work on the non DCC pieces.   . . .

Bill1462,

Have you turned the  lights on?

When the Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center in Function mode, pressing button 10 turns lights on, pressing button 10 again turns lights off the locomotive being controlled.

With your GG1 on track and its address activate, place the Command Control Center in Function mode by pressing the Function button. The LED next to the locomotive address button that is currently active flashes indicating the Command Control Center is in the Function mode. Pressing button 10 turns lights on and off.

Also when lights are turned on, the GG1 decoder lighting effect is factory programmed with directional lighting effect of automatic dim. Thus when the forward direction button is selected the GG1 forward light (headlight) will be on and the reverse light (backup) will automatically be dimmed.  When the reverse direction button is selected the reverse light will be on and the forward light will automatically be dimmed. 

When the Command Control Center is in Function mode pressing button 10 operates the decoder's Function zero, F0. It does not operate the decoder's Function ten, F10.  The Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center supports decoder functions F0 through F8 only.

Hunt

more ...
The assigned DCC function control for the GG1 the decoder:
F0 - Headlight - Backup light
F1 - Bell
F2 - Horn (long)
F3 - Horn (short)
F4 - Pantograph operation sound
F5 - Blower
F6 - Compressor
F7 - Dimming
F8 - All sounds mute

Remember - In Function mode, the E-Z Command Control Center button 10 operates as Function F0  not F10.

riff99

In your second post, you mentioned that you have an ANALOG controller where you CAN hear the engine sound while it's running.  Can you find on that controller what the model # is?  Not the #44901.

As for the headlight, Hunt explained it well.  Just make sure that if you were using the GG-1 at address #1, make sure the #1 is selected, then press the FUNCTION key to make the #1 now flash.  Then press the #10.  The headlight should now illuminate.  Press the #10 again to turn it off, as if testing it.  As Hunt says, make sure the FUNCTION key has been pressed first and the locomotive's address # light is flashing for the locomotive's decoder features to be utilized.  Note that in the decoder assignments that Hunt listed for you, that #8 does mute the sounds.  If all sounds seem off, just check that the sounds are NOT muted.  Usually removing the locomotive from the track and then placing it back on correctly resets the decoder, so the initial sounds should start up again and the headlight once again is off.

Bill1462

The analog controller is a TECH MRC 260 "Model Rectifier Corp."

riff99

Thanks Bill1462,

At least it's a starting point as to what WAS working for you compared to using the E-Z Command Controller.  Unfortunately I have no expertise with this controller.  It looks like a standard DC controller, but I like the momentum feature it promotes.  I was hoping it was a Bachmann 46605A Analog controller as it can work in conjunction with your E-Z Command Controller.  Hope you've had more luck tinkering with the E-Z Command.

rogertra

Why not install JMRI and use that to program your engines?

It's so much easier than programming and having to remember or look up what each CV does or what CV does what.

With JMRI you want to change the whistle, you just change the whistle and select which one you want.  JMRI knows the CV numbers, you don't have to.

Want to change the bell ringing rate, just change the bell ring rate.  No need to know what CV that is, JMRI already knows it.

Ditto for chuff rate, all the various sound levels, you just change them through the menus, no need to know a single CV nor what any CV controls.

Cheers

Roger T.

Hunt

Quote from: rogertra on December 02, 2014, 04:29:45 AM
Why not install JMRI and use that to program your engines?
. . .

None of Bachmann DCC systems (the E-Z Command Control Center or Dynamis) can utilize JMRI Decoder Pro since Bachmann DCC systems do not have a PC interface.