News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Truck Cover Removal

Started by DarG, December 09, 2014, 12:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarG

New here.   I have a GP30 that I can not, for the life of me, figure out how to get the truck side covers off.   It's been sitting for a years and I need to take a look, clean and re-lube the truck gears.   It looks like it's pry and pull but since it's a one piece truck cover,  it isn't going well and I dont want to snap the cover.   I have a feeling I may be missing something.   Any and all input appreciated.

jbrock27

You are right, the trucks are all 1 piece and should drop down.  I have seen people use a "pick" tool, like a dentist's metal pick instead of a screwdriver to release the truck from the tabs at either end.  Go to the Parts and Diagrams listing on the home page of this site and find the parts diagram for GP30.  This will give you a blow up of the parts so you can see whether or not you are missing anything. 
I know I have also seen on YouTube, a Bachmann Tech demonstrating how to do this.  I am not 100% sure of the title, but it was something like "how to lube your Bachmann locomotive".
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

Click Here for part of a Bachmann video showing lubrication of model with similar trucks. 

electrical whiz kid

Hunt;
IS there a similar video for steamers?
Rich C.

DarG

Thanks gents, and thanks for the video, Hunt.  That seemed too easy.   I gave up and lubricated without removing the cover before seeing the video but will give it another go soon enough.   I'm a bit afraid to try and pop them off with the trucks still attached to the body as all that holds the truck assembly in place is a small screw into plastic.   But, maybe that's the ticket to removing them.   

Anyway, thanks again. 

Hunt

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 09, 2014, 03:27:23 PM
Hunt;
IS there a similar video for steamers?
Rich C.
The first portion (almost six minutes) of the video includes track maintenance and lubrication of steam locomotives in general. However, I prefer different procedures than shown in that part of the Bachmann video. Thus the link starts the video at the part covering DarG truck cover removal question.

Hunt

BTW -  the "Bachmann Tech demonstrating" is the Bach-man a.k.a. the Bach Man.

jbrock27

To know that, you must have friends in high places, Hunt.  Thanks for the bit o trivia.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 09, 2014, 08:29:18 PM
. . .  you must have friends in high places, Hunt. . . .

jbrock27,

I would not characterize it that way.