News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Headlight Question

Started by Speedbrake, December 10, 2014, 11:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedbrake

I have a new Baldwin 4-4-0 w/DCC& Sound. It runs perfectly out of the box on the default loco DCC address of 3. However when I program the loco to the new address of 122 the headlight will not function. Experimenting, I went back to the default address (3) and it works fine. I programmed the loco to an address of 22 and it also works fine (all sounds and headlight). I'm sure I'm missing something by going to a four digit address but WHAT? All the sounds work fine and the locomotive runs fine on 122, just no control of the headlight.

bapguy

What DCC system are you using? Did you program the loco on the main or programming track? Did the loco face the same way when you programmed address 122?  Also check CV29's value . If it's an even value subtract 1 and try that. If it's odd, add 1 and try that. If you program CV33=3, the headlight stays on regardless of direction of travel. Otherwise the headlight only comes on in forward.   Joe

Speedbrake

I use EasyDCC. I programmed on the program track. It shouldn't matter which direction the loco was facing. I haven't changed CV29. specifically. I'm thinking it may have something to do with extended addressing over primary addressing but haven't run into that with previous locomotives . I also programmed 128 speed steps so it's not a matter of a system limitation.

Hunt

Contact CVP Products

email: cvpusa@sbcglobal.net
Include the  version of the EasyDCC system and throttle you are using.

bapguy

You need to find out if address 122 is a 2 or 4 digit address on your system. I use Digitrax and address 128 is a 4 digit address 127 and below a 2 digit address. This might be what's causing the problem.  Joe

Speedbrake

Yes!

I figured it out. The EasyDCC system treats any locomotive address above 99 as an extended address. I checked my table for CV 29 and decided to set it to 50. This allows me to program the loco to 122 and set the speed steps to 128. It also eliminates the analog capability which I found to be a problem with possible runaways, i.e. on a DCC system if the signal is lost for any reason the locomotive would default to analog and therefore receive the full 16-18 volts that the track maintains producing a full speed runaway. With CV 29 at 50 all is well and the light functions properly.

Thanks to all who replied.