News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Install Steam Sound

Started by sbkeiser, December 11, 2014, 07:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbkeiser

I want to install a sound decoder into a steam engine tender.  I need to understand how to connect to the wires to the two plugs from the tender to the engine.  Can someone tell me what color wires are connected to each plug?  Thank you.

WoundedBear

Start by reading this.

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/locos.htm

A lot of times it takes you, a multi-meter and some ingenuity to get it done. ;)

Sid

Doneldon

sb-

We can help you much better if you tell us the loco you are improving and the decoder you want to install. There is supposed to be a uniform color pattern for DCC wiring but it isn't honored all of the time, including by Bachmann. Rule of Thumb: Our ability to help you is directly proportional to how much information you give us. I understand you may feel uneasy about that if your loco is from another manufacturer.
                                                                                                                                                                            -- D

sbkeiser

I understand how to connect a decoder, having done it on a number of diesel locomotives.   What I do not understand is the wiring of the female plug connecting the tender to the locomotive.  The locomotive is a Bachman 2-8-0 Bachman steam locomotive.  I am trying to understand the how to connect the wired the tender side of the connection.  What wires connect to the light plug and how the wires connect to the four proung plug.

jonathan

SB,

The simplest way to connect the decoder is to the DCC receptacle that was on the PCB in the tender.  Assuming you have removed the PCB... as some do (nothing wrong with that, just a bit more compicated)...

If you remove the locomotive shell, you will be able to trace the wires.  With the shell removed it is easy to see which wires are headlight, current pick up and motor +/-. 

As Doneldon has pointed out, the locomotives don't always have universal color coding--in fact-- most are painted black where the wires run between the loco and tender.

To remove the shell, loosen the drawbar screw, pull out the pilot steps, pull the tiny tab on the power reverse, and gently lift up and pull the shell forward.  Do ALL of this gently.  Some have broken the screw post for the drawbar.  I have... once, but it is easily repairable.

Regards,

Jonathan