News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Choosing magnetic knuckle couplers

Started by El_Cid, December 19, 2014, 10:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El_Cid

I have just gotten the E-Z Track Super Chief Train Set #24021. I want to convert from the couplers that came with the engine/cars to magnetic knuckle couplers. Which couplers should I get? Long, medium, short shank? Replace the trucks on the freight cars? Thank you for any assistance.

Albert in N

Coupler length depends on use and prototype.  Some modern freight cars have cushion couplers, which have longer shanks.  For 11 inch or wider radius N scale track, I like short shank for appearance, unless I have a cushion coupler car.  For magnetic couplers, I think that you are replacing the Bachmann dummy (non operating) couplers.  Most of these are T shank, but some have hole in shank for mounting inside the coupler box.  If you use Bachmann magnetic couplers, be sure that they will fit your train set.  Another source is to consult Micro-Trains coupler conversions (Google Micro-Trains).  On the freight cars, you can purchase Bachmann truck sets with couplers (but you will need to use your old wheels, since these are sold without wheels).  Micro-Trains truck coupler sets include wheels and fastening pin adaptors.  Your locomotive will require some skill if Micro-Trains are used, in that coupler assembly for a universal set takes effort.  Body mounted Micro-trains assembled universal couplers is an option, but requires their drill and tap set, with a pin vise for spinning the drill and screw tap.  Tweezers, small screwdrivers, small files, and small needle nosed pliers are helpful.  Be certain to have magnetic track sections for uncoupling.  Your choice is to use Bachmann E-Z track or look to other sources such as Kato, Atlas, Peco, or other track.  Converting couplers is challenging, but fun.