New to Dcc and have 2 Dcc sound value pack locos

Started by Npaoline, December 24, 2014, 12:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Npaoline

Happy Holidays all,

Ok I'm new to Dcc and just picked up the thunder chief set along with another locomotive. My question is they both have the sound value pack in them with the bell and 2 horn options. Is there anyway of switching out that decoder and replacing it with something else that offers more sounds.

Thank You,
Nick

ACY

Yes it can be done, but you will have to pay $100-150 a locomotive for better sound decoders, not to mention the time and effort involved in installing the decoders. Depending on your level of experience (and I would guess it is limited since you are asking this question), the installation may be more difficult than you want to attempt at this time. Further, why waste a perfectly good decoder that is really pretty good and not bad for the money. What sound effects were you looking at adding and what DCC system do you have? If you only have the Bachmann EZ-Command Basic DCC system than it will be a complete waste of your time and money to replace the decoders. The EZ-COMMAND can only support 10 decoder functions and that generally works out to about 6 sounds since some functions are for lighting effects and one button mutes the sound. So why install a fancy sound decoder just to get 3 additional sounds? Now if you have an advanced DCC system such as the Dynamis then that is a different story. Also without an advanced DCC system like the Dynamis, you will be unable to utilize your $100-150 decoder to its fullest potential by programming CVs and selecting the horn you prefer and other options you prefer.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

The diesel would be a reasonably easy switch to a full Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder(Soundtraxx makes the sound decoders and sound value decoders for Bachmann). An TSU-AT1000 EMD 567 (1st Gen) prime mover should do the trick. All you would need to do this is a new headlight bulb and a soldering iron and some solder and about half an hour to an hour of free time. The other engine is harder to determin how easy it would be to fit with a full decoder as you did not mention what it is.

bapguy