News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

need help with layout.

Started by caseyjones, December 28, 2014, 11:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseyjones

Help! Trying to run two different engines on a simple oval.  While one train is running, I want to park the other train on a dead end branch line.  When I throw the switch and park one train, then switch back and try to run the other engine on the oval, power still runs to the  branch line causing the parked engine to want to run. How do I kill the power on the branch lines while the oval remains hot?  But, I need power to the branch lines when I want to park one engine. Thank you for any suggestions.

ACY

jward

what you want to do is a form of block control. basically, you  use plastic rail joiners in place of metal ones to isolate your siding, then wire the track to an on-off switch that lets you kill power to that track.

google bloc control for train layout
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Whatever brand of track you purchased obviously does not have self isolating switches which is why both engines still run.

Two (three) options.

1)  Buy a decent brand of track, Atlas or Peco for example, that offer self isolating switches.  That only works if you are not using Bachmann EZ track or whatever it's called.

2)  No matter what brand of track you are using, if you have non-isolating switches leading to the spur (That's the correct professional railroad name for a dead end track) insert a plastic insulating rail joiner on one rail or cut one rail then install a single pole, single throw electrical switch to jump the gap.  In the "Open" position, this will isolate the spur, in the "Closed" position it will enable you to run the locomotive but you will also need someone way, another spur or perhaps a loop, to hold the other locomotive out of the way.

2)  Go DCC rather than DC then only the loco you address will run.

Either way, buy a book about wiring model railroads.

Cheers

Roger T.

caseyjones

Thank you to everyone who responded.  All the advise is well received and appreciated.  I have several directions in which to go and I will probably end up going in all of them eventually. 
Thanks to all!

jbrock27

It's not necessary to buy a book to see how to wire block control.  The info is everywhere out on the Net, including YouTube.
Keep Calm and Carry On