News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Photography

Started by jonathan, December 29, 2014, 05:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

Jon - as usual great stuff. I agree with woundedbear that you should stay away from photo enhancing. That term reminds me of how, in  1930s Russia, pictures of commissars or generals would simply disappear.

This whole strand makes me want to dig out my trusty Canon AE-1. I took lots of pictures with it but never achieved the results you have. There was a company that actually sold a pinhole attachment which, if I remember correctly, was something like f64. The shutter would have to be open for sometime. I was going to buy one but the company didn't last (how many pinhole devices could he have sold.)

Keep up the excellent work Jonathan and glad to see another road name (C & O)!

Jhanecker2

I remember a photographic supply company by the name of Spiratone used to sell a pinhole lens in different camera mounts back in the 1980s . Though I purchased a good deal of equipment from them I never purchased a pin hole lens .   Was using  Olympus  SLR cameras at that time OM-1 , OM-1D and OM-2 , still have them though I have not shot much film lately .  I miss no longer having a color  dark room available . It was a lot of fun  developing film and printing pictures . Still have mounted  color and black & white prints  (8x10 ) on 11x14 boards .  I didn't get into model railroading till after 2003 . John2.

jonathan

Again, thanks for the kinds words, guys.

I have not tried the video mode, yet.  Waiting for warm weather so I can run trains again.  I suspect, however, an actual video camera will probably be better than a DSLR.  Just a guess though...

That link on photography was one I had not read yet, so happy to download to add to the pile.  :)

My biggest problem so far is lack of adequate lighting.  Model photography takes some pretty bright lights according to everything I've read.  Marvelous! one more thing to buy.  This is why I use the photo enhancing software at the moment... to compensate for the lack of really bright photo lamps.

I will have to look into pinhole lens attachments.  That sounds intriguing.  Thanks again.

Regards

Jonathan

BaltoOhioRRfan

Heres another one for ya Jonathon.

I use two desk lamps for lighting, they are clamped to the shelf. I use em for Photos and while working on stuff.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Jhanecker2

To Jonathon :  Checkout the current Micro-Mark website  they have a setup for photographing models that utilizes a light-tent and lights to photograph an individual model .  See if this could be adapted for your needs . The nice thing about digital photography is that you can check the results of your setup without developing film & paper to see the results .  Keep notes of what works and you can duplicate them with different models. Photography like model railroading  is a lifetime ,multifaceted  and not inexpensive hobby and / or obsession . But it is entertaining . John2.

jonathan

Today, I took the camera to the train show in Timonium and shot more than a few of the B'mann Em-1 and the modified S-2.  Some worked, some didn't... OK most didn't.

I shot these rather impromptu, while I was running these trains on the club layout... oh and talking to the public.  As photography was not my main mission, the focal point seemed a bit off.  Next time, I'll lest someone else run the trains while I shoot photos.  

Regards,

Jonathan

My throttle.  I like to keep it simple... and it fits into my pocket.  ;)

Returning to the yard, where we dispatch trains. 

BaltoOhioRRfan

I would have taken some pics for ya, or keep an eye on making sure the train didn't crash haha. Tomorrow I start on all the projects I talked to you about at the show.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF