How to tell the difference between a dc and a dcc train

Started by Kasper, December 29, 2014, 04:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kasper

I recently purchased an bachmann f7 a&b set from a friend of the family for the kids. They are both powered and are HO scale. How can I tell if it's dc or dcc?

Thanks

rogertra

Quote from: Kasper on December 29, 2014, 04:42:01 AM
I recently purchased an bachmann f7 a&b set from a friend of the family for the kids. They are both powered and are HO scale. How can I tell if it's dc or dcc?

Thanks

Look inside the bodies, easy to remove, and see if they have a DCC decoder inside.  You'll need to learn how to look inside the bodies for general maintenance so now's the time to ;learn.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

jward

a dc locomotive sitting on dcc powered track will make a singing noise, a high pitched ringing sound. a dcc equipped locomotive running on dc powered track will require about half throttle just to start moving.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Bucksco

Bachmann DCC locos will have a "DCC on Board" white logo stamped on the bottom of the loco. If there is no logo it is not DCC equipped from the factory.

Kasper

Thanks for the responses. It doesn't have the dcc logo on the bottom of it. So I put it on regular track and it works fine. The guy buys out large lots of old toys and trains from estates and people.

Thanks again for the help