How to remove shell from Bachmann HO 50702 USRA 0-6-0 Steam Locomotive?

Started by detz, December 31, 2014, 09:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

detz

This train: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-0-6-0-NCStL-p/bac-50702.htm

I want to get inside...  ;D

I tried pying but i felt like I was going to break something. There are little screws but once I removed them things didn't loses up except the bottom fell out. Any thoughts? What about the tender? Thanks

billgiannelli

Hi Detz,
I am a complete novice. But I happen to have a simular Bachman USRA 0-6-0 from my Jingle Bell Express set.
I have wired in a decoder from within the tender....so I've opened up the locomotive many times......and broke off some tiny pieces in the process!
to take off the engine shell there are 3 screws....2 in front on both sides right above the "cylinders" and 1 screw at the back bottom.
The things to be careful of is the area where the 2 tiny screws are on either side. the plastic shell is held in place with a tiny protrusion from the frame right behind each screw. The plastic body has to be SLIGHTLY spread to get over these in order to come off.
Also the whole cylinder assembly if very delicate and breaks in several spots.
To take off the plastic shell I take out the 3 screws and then lift up from the back end first, then gently get the front off over the "protrusions".
As I said I have broken several small pieces there are replacement parts you can get from the bachmann parts web page just in case.
As I also said I am a novice, but I hope I can help a little from my experience.
Good luck!
Thanks
Bill

detz

Awesome, you're 100% right! I took the screws out and was able to pry it open. Thank you!

billgiannelli

I have been helped a lot from the members on this board! More than happy to return the favor to others! :)