News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-8-4 stopped working

Started by brad4321, January 05, 2015, 10:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad4321

Got it about 2 weeks ago and it had been running great.  Tonight it stopped.  Lights won't come on.  Nothing happens.  All other locos run fine on the same track. 

kmcsjr

So long as you bought it new and have the receipt, Bachmanns warranty is second to none. Give them a call. They will make it right. If you bought it used, it is still worth the call. Their fee based service, is more than reasonable.

brokemoto

I have several of the B-mann locomotives equipped with the factory decoder.  It is supposed to be a "smart" decoder that allows you to operate on DC or DCC.  I do not use DCC.   I have managed to fry the decoder on an F-7 and a ten wheeler.   Fortunately, if you remove the decoder, it is not difficult to wire around it to allow your locomotive to operate on DC, only.  In fact, if you use DC, only, the locomotive has better slow speed control and smoother start-up with the decoder removed and the necessary re-wiring.   If the decoder is fried, the locomotive will not operate either on DC or DCC.  In the case of the ten wheeler the light would light, but the locomotive would not go.  In the case of the F-7, the light would not light and the locomotive would not go.  In both cases, I took out the decoder, did the simple re-wiring and put the locomotives back onto the track.  Both now operate fine.

Are you using DC or DCC?   If you are using DC, the fried decoder could be your problem.   If you are using DCC, there is not much that I can contribute as I do not use it.  I have not heard any complaints about the B-mann factory decoder's not being durable when used on any DCC system, but, I do not pay as much attention to DCC questions as I would to others, mostly because I do not use it.

brad4321

I've been running the layout on DC mostly, just temporarily, as ultimately it will be DCC.  It ran well on both DC and DCC ... until it stopped.  You could be correct, but the thing has less than an hour total running time. 

kewatin

brad
if you just purchased this loco,i would send it back while it is still under the year warranty.i had a similar situation where the decoder went dead and my nce power cab could;nt read any of the values.i sent it back and BACHMANN'S WARRANTY is excellent, they replaced my loco.this has happened on 2 prior instances.if you do send it back,be informed that the service dept is very busy this time of yr and it could take 4 to 6 wks before you get a replacement.
if you don;t want to take that route,get another decoder from digitrax,nce or tcs & install it yourself or send it out.
normally i have had good luck with my bachmann decoders and i have some 15 of their steam engines,some of which are7 yrs old and the decoders function perfectly.i have only lost 3 decoders in that time span. i know it is frustrating when you get a new loco and problems arise,but its not a perfect world. i wish you well in what ever decision you make.
regards&later KEWATIN