News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Roads in layout

Started by captainron19, January 14, 2015, 10:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainron19

Well first train set is up an running and had a question about building some roads / streets

First I will let you know a bit about the layout I have.

Built a 4' x 8' table framed out with 2 x 4's .   on top I put a 1/4" piece of oak and on top of that I have a 1/2" sheet of 4 x 8 homosote screwed down and painted green

I have a few roads I want to put into place.  I looked around online and saw the main way was to use drywall compound first spread out as the roadway, sand when dry then paint with asphalt topcoat.    Is there any other method to accomplish making a road?   Reason I ask is..... I have the train completely setup and light poles in place along with a lot of other items glued down already so the last thing I would like to do is have to do a lot of sanding of drywall compound and making a mess that will be difficult to clean up. 

I know I should of thought of this before laying the track down and everything else but i am new to the hobby and did not give roads a thought until I had everything setup

ACY

Some companies sell pre made asphalt roads and parking lots. Depending on your layout, they may be something that works for you.

dasBM2-6-0

Many- including myself - have used asphalt shingles for roads.....you can pick from a wide variety of shingle colors/types to "match" the style of road you want to model....
Because a typical shingle has some thickness you'll probably want to do some "shoulder" work.....I just run a bead of latex caulk along the edge, smooth it, and sprinkle it with ballast - or even CAT LITTER!!:D Works and looks great, IMHO.... Good luck!

May your freight ALWAYS roll smoothly...and ON TIME!!

Len

It all depends on the look you want.

The oldest method of all is to just paint the roads onto the board. Black for asphalt, grey for concrete, some fine grey blend ballast for gravel, and fine brown ballast for dirt.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

captainron19

Someone mentioned I could possibly tape out the section that I would like road to be, spread glue in that area and then sprinkle the asphalt granules on that area and once dry paint either black or with asphalt type of top coat.   This something that would work?

jbrock27

I remember Rogertra used some material I thought was great, from a craft store to make his roads; I just don't remember what it was.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Found it in a replay by Rogertra over in the "Slow but steady" thread:

QuoteI use a product called "Foam Sheet" by "Creatology".  I find it in "Michaels Stores Inc." and I believe it's unique to them.  It comes in 12 x 18 sheets, in multiple colours but I use black as the base colour.  I then over spray with, believe it or not, "Armor Coat" Galvanising paint to give the grey colour of old black top.  I then use a track cleaning eraser to make the darker stripes for the traffic lanes.  Like everything else in the photos, the roads are a work in process and still need more work.  Manhole covers, cracks, signs of repairs etc., etc..

Foam Sheet is very easy to cut and work with as it's made for use by children to make cut-outs from.  You'll find it in the children's craft section in Michaels Stores.  I glue it down with Elmers white glue.  It's so cheap, less than Can$1.50/sheet that if you make mistakes, just tear it up and do it over again.

Len

Len

jonathan

This road is made of cereal box cardboard:

The "road" is cut to size and shape from the cardboard, glued down with white glue (use lots of things to weight it down while it dries), then painted several coats to color and seal it.

The sides of the road are a mixture of beach sand (well washed) and fine ballast.

Point is, you can make roads from just about anything handy.
Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

ebtnut

If you have access to a sign shop, they might be willing to give you some Sintra.  It's a plastic material similar to Rogertra's Foam Sheet.  You can also look for it on-line.  I use 2mm thick material for the roads and 1mm for sidewalks in HO.  It won't warp when glued (I use Tacky Glue) and cuts easily with a utility knife.  Takes paint well.  Take note of Roger's roads - asphalt isn't black unless it is only literally been put down a few hours ago.  It quickly becomes a medium grey.  Similarly, a very fresh concrete roadway is almost white, but weathers to a light greyish buff color.  If you go to Michael's for the Foam Sheet, there's a line of acrylic paint from Apple.  Get some of their Pewter Grey.  It's the color Jonathon uses on his roadways.