News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA light 2-8-2

Started by Trainman203, January 21, 2015, 03:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

I don't follow the forum very closely so I may have missed discussion about this engine.  I've seen a Bachmann light USRA 2-8-2 listed at MicroMark and at Walthers, but it does not appear to be on the Bachmann website unless I don't know where to dig.

What is the story with this engine?  What sound system will it have?

Len

Walthers shows them as "Advance Reservation" items. This means there's been an announcement about them at some point, and distributors are taking orders, but they haven't actually been produced yet. So there's not a lot of info available on them.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

The sound decoder will be a Soundtraxx with Tsunami technology. It probably won't be available until considerably later this year.

Bucksco

The Mikado will feature a Sound Value decoder - not a Tsunami decoder. They should arrive early Spring if there are no delays.

ACY

Doesn't the Sound Value decoder utilize the same technology as the Tsunami decoders with the only difference being it doesn't offer all the sound effects available on a full Tsunami decoder? 
Was I wrong in referring to it as "Tsunami technology?"

Bucksco

The name "Tsunami" refers to the processor on the board. The Sound value boards use a newer processor - not the same as on a Tsunami decoder.

ACY

Thank you for the clarification.

electrical whiz kid

Yardmaster;
What will the classification be?  Light, heavy?  Is this a prototype specific or a USRA model?
SGT C.

Bucksco

I do my have this info but I will check on it next week when I return to the office.

Len

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on January 22, 2015, 10:31:09 AM
Yardmaster;
What will the classification be?  Light, heavy?  Is this a prototype specific or a USRA model?
SGT C.

The OP says it's listed as a "USRA Light 2-8-2" at Walthers and Micro-Mark.

The description on the Walthers web page shows, "USRA Light 2-8-2 Mikado w/Medium Tender".

It lists both "w/Sound & DCC" and "Standard DC" versions for "Advance Reservation" at this time.

Len

rogertra

Hopefully they are up to Spectrum standards and not Sound Value standards.

If they are Spectrum, boiler bands, decent headlights, bells, whistles, class lights, etc., etc., all the details one has come to expect from Spectrum then I can see two or three in my future, as the 2-8-2 was probably the most used freight engine wheel arrangement in the steam era.

If sound value?  Sorry, I'll pass.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

Walthers is showing a MSRP of $379.00 for the DCC w/Sound version. That sounds a tad hight for a 'Sound Value' loco, so I suspect they are Spectrum.

Len

Bucksco

Standard line/Sound Value

Len

Thud! (Sound of my jaw hitting the floor.)

Len

Bucksco

And we all know the street price will be well below the MSRP.....