Old Bachmann (AHM/Rivarossi) Tune-up: Adding weight.

Started by NWsteam, January 23, 2015, 03:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

Hi all,

Bear with me, this might get a little winded...

I acquired some older Bachmann (AHM/Rivarossi cars with a Bachmann label) passenger cars (Norfolk & Western: Powhatan Arrow) and have been working on getting them into better shape. I have gotten ride of the stock horn hook couplers and used Kadee #505 conversion kits to replace those. They run ok. I thought that maybe putting new Kadee wheels (keeping the original plastic trucks) on the cars would make them ride better...this turned out to not be true as the plastic brake rigging drags on the kadees. So I put the original wheels back on. I weighed the cars and found them 2.75 oz shy of NMRA standards. I figure the added weight will help but I have no idea where to add it. I opened the car and there isn't much space in there. Anyone else do this before and guide me through the process or give me ideas? Should I scrap the original trucks and get metal replacements? I would rather not do this because of all the work I just put into the coupler conversions.

Thanks

-Brad
Columbus OH

ACY

For these cars I body mount kadee #5 or #148 couplers, you could always substitute Bachmann EZ-mate Mark II couplers. Use plastic styrene glued to the bottom of the car to get the coupler boxes to the right height. If keeping the existing trucks, cut off any coupler pockets and brake shoes (piece that is obstructing your wheels). Replace wheels with Intermountain metal wheels, you could also try Bachmann wheels, Kadee sintered metal wheels will not be a good choice at all for sure. Inside add several ounces of weight using pennys or birdshot or lead.

jbrock27

I do not like to reuse the Talgo style trucks.  I always buy replacements for my freight cars jobs, but I do not know what trucks are out there for your passenger cars.  Look around.  I agree with the suggestion to put your $ into Kadee coupler boxes instead of conversion kits.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

If those are old AHM cars, the tooling for which later went to IHC, they have 31" wheels. When IHC was still around they offered 31" metal wheels to upgrade these cars. You might sill find them somewhere, but you'll have to hunt.

You can convert them to 36" wheels, but you have to remove the brake shoes with an X-Acto knife to avoid the wheel rubbing you described.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.