News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

couplers

Started by New2N, January 25, 2015, 02:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New2N

I bought an N scale SuperChief set with E-Z Track to get back into railroading. The couplers are so bad I have to lift the cars to connect them. What can I do to couple and uncouple the cars without having to do this? I have sidings but can't uncouple cars.

brokemoto

What kind of couplers are they?  Over the years, B-mann has used three kinds.

1.  The oldest are Rapidos.  The end looks like a larger, squared off C.
2.  For a brief time, recently, B-mann used dummy knuckle couplers.
3.  B-mann now uses a knuckle coupler that has an external spring and a trip pin.  DO NOT, under ANY circumstance, attempt to remove or adjust the trip pin.  It will cause the coupler to discombobulate.  It is extremely difficult to get the thing back together.  If your coupler discombobulates, you will be better off replacing it with a Bachpersonn dummy coupler, UniMate or a Micro-Trains.  If the trip pin catches on turnouts or rerailers, take a rail nipper or wire cutters and WITH EXTREME CARE, trimi it ever so slightly.

What you are describing appears to be #2, but I can not be sure.

James in FL

Hi New2N,

What you are describing sounds to me like Bachmann dummy knuckles.
Lifting cars to couple and uncouple is standard procedure for this type of coupler.
There are several types of working couplers manufactured by various sources.
Bachmann, Atlas, MT (and some MT clones), Kato, come to mind.

I do not use Bachmann magnetic knuckles, instead I have standardized on another manufacturers couplers many years before Bachmann came out with theirs.
Bachmann was late to that party.
Therefore, I do not know if the EZmate II is a drop in replacement.
Hopefully others here will chime in.

Most (not all) magnetic knuckle couplers play well with others.
I'd suggest picking one manufacturer and standardizing.

Good luck