News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dual Mode DCC

Started by Smashboard, January 23, 2015, 11:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smashboard

:) Hello,

Will you please explain what "Dual Mode DCC" means?

I have a DC layout, does that mean I could use an engine equipped with that mode on mine? 
Would I have to do anything to them to run them on my layout?

Lastly, are all you DCC equipped engines "Dual Mode". ???

Thank you very much.

ACY

Dual mode decoders are able to run on analog DC layouts but obviously there are no benefits to running a locomotive with DCC on a DC layout. The dual mode decoders have the ability to detect whether a DC or DCC output is on the track. As far as I know all of Bachmann's N scale locomotives with DCC are equipped with dual mode decoders. However I highly advise removing the decoder and installing the jumpers if you don't have a DCC system because they will require less power and run a little better without the decoder. The decoder only makes the locomotive run better if you run it on DCC. If you don't have a DCC System and have no plans to get one, then you may as well save money and buy analog DC locomotives since DCC locomotives won't run any better unless you run them on DCC.

brokemoto

I have a few of the "dual mode" decoder B-mann locomotives.  I do not use DCC at this time.  I may or may not go to DCC eventually.  I would like to keep open my options.  I have left the decoders in some, taken out in others.  What ACY states is accurate.

You do get better slow speed control and smoother start-up on DC with the decoder gone.   I have had a few of the B-mann decoders fry on DC, which necessitated their removal, as well.  Some of the older B-mann dual mode locomotives do give you options to bypass the decoder, but the later versions do not give you such an  option.   On those, you must remove the decoder altogether and rewire.

As for buying non-DCC power, this is fine, if you can find something that you like.   Some of the Bachmann offerings are unique; no other manufacturer  offers anything similar.  

Bachpersonn is the only one that offers an N scale ten wheeler at this time.   B-mann is the only one that offers a mogul that would have widespread use.  Model Power had one, but it was rather large, based on an SP prototype of the very late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.  The MP is an excellent puller and runner, when it can maintain electrical contact or if you run it at speeds greater than thirty-five SMPH.  Still, it suffers from 1970s construction methods that compromise the electrical contact even on straight and level.  MP is now out of business.  MRC has acquired the MP product line, but nothing has yet appeared and no announcements have surfaced.  Atlas sells a mogul that is clearly mid-nineteenth century.   The Atlas suffers from poor electrical contact, although it is a good runner and puller if it can maintain contact.

Atlas has announced an S-2, but it has not appeared.  B-mann has a current S-4.  Only B-mann offers current production industrial diesels.

RGW

I have 3 Dual mode decoder locos and I run DC maybe some day I will switch but not now.  two are Walthers Y3s with sound, no decoder= no sound They do not start untill about 7 volts so no double heading with other engines ( only each other,but what great sound  pulling a grade)   And I have a Bachman USRA lite 2-10-2 Dual mode, runs great I will remove the decoder only if it has problems.

The one thing I dislike about DCC or dual mode sound engines  with build in momentum is that when the slightest lose of contact the engine stops dead and has to restart.
On DC at least you can not remove this fearture on the walthers 2-8-8-2 Y3s

Smashboard

:)Thank you for the information, this makes my decision a lot easier.