Need help connecting Bachmann EZ Command and Altas Switches

Started by asa1111, January 25, 2015, 03:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asa1111

I am in the process of building the HO River Pass layout using Atlas 83 track.  It has 2 Snap Switches (remote) in the layout.  Can I power the switches with the Bachmann EZ Command DCC controller?  Do I need a separate power source for the switches.  There does not seem to be any way to connect them.  I already have the EZ Command controller, but if I need a different one or a separate aux power source, let me know what you would recommend.  This is a first build out for me.

jward

you will need a separate power source lie an old power pack to power your switch motors.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

Any old power pack will be fine, it really makes no difference,  just hook up the wires to the AC and you are done.

asa1111

thanks.

I don't have anything old...what's a good, reasonable power pack to buy?

AA

jward

if you have a train show near you, try looking for an old power pack there.

or, if you have some electrical knowledge, you can make your own power supply using parts from an old stereo or boom box. you want something that will put out abut 12-16 volts, ac or dc it doesn't matter.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Another options is to pick up a "Wall Wart" type transformer at Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc. It should have an output of 12-16V AC or DC rated at 1 amp or better. If it has a plug of some sort, just cut it off, seperate the wires, strip the ends a bit, and your good to go.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Ebay has a huge selection of cheap, train set power packs ideal for your purpose.
Keep Calm and Carry On