News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Reverse Loop and Wye polarity issues

Started by jabrs, January 29, 2015, 03:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabrs

I have 2 reverse loops and a wye on my layout. There are times when I power up the track that the tortoise switch machines switch on their own. This only happens occasionally. Any ideas why this happens? Both the reverse loops and the wye have reverse modules to each section of track and each section is on it's own block. Don't know how to correct the problem. Very frustrating!!

Len

More info needed. How are you powering and controlling the switch machines?

Power supply with fixed decoders and DCC, e.g., Digitrax DS64? Or dedicated power supply and toggle switches?

Are your track power and switch machine power both plugged into the same outlet strip to turn everything on/off at the same time?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jabrs

Len, Thanks in advance for any info you can give me. I operate a NCE system with handheld cab. My power is run through 1 booster and power pack that plugs into 1 outlet. I have 8 buss lines all run into 2 Digitrax PM42s for a total of 8 blocks. The switch machines are hooked up to each buss line for the block that operates that portion of track. I control the switch machines with the cab so when I turn the system on, the track power and the switch machines are on the same power. Let me know if you need any more info.

Johann

Len

I'm not sure I follow what you're doing with the PM42's.

Depending on how they are configured, they are designed to either provide short circuit protection for blocks, or automatic polarity switching for reverse loops and wyes.  Not operate switch machines.

I'll have to dig out the documentation to be sure, but if I remember correctly, you're not supposed to power anything except the track blocks from the PM42. This may be why your turnouts are triggering when you first power up.

For slow motion turnout control I would strongly suggest using either an NCE 'Switch-IT MK2' or 'Switch 8 Mark 2'. Or, if you want to stay with Digitrax, either the DS44, DS52, or DS64 turnout controllers.

Len

guslcp

If you are using D'trax as your control system, here's the link to the Yahoo user group (copy and paste in your browser's address bar.)  Lots of good advice there.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Digitrax/files/Electronic%20DCC%20Projects%20for%20the%20Hobbyist

Gus.

Len

Johann said he's using an NCE system with Digitrax PM42 power distribution modules. And somehow powering the slo-mo switch machines from them, which they aren't really designed to do. That's why I suggested he get the NCE switch controllers, which he should be able to control from his hand-held.

Len

jabrs

Len, That makes sense. I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Johann

jabrs

Gus, Thanks for the site. I'll check it out.

Johann