News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC for Thunder Valley Sante Fe Loco

Started by Lighthousegordy, January 15, 2015, 07:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthousegordy

Hi. New to Forum and N scale. Can DCC be added to the Sante Fe Loco that come with the Thunder Valley train set? Thanks for your help.

ACY

Yes it can be done, but it is not what I would consider an easy installation that any beginner would be capable of performing. If you want an N scale locomotive with DCC,  I highly advise you to purchase one that already has DCC than attempt an installation in a non-DCC ready locomotive.

toyzforme

Yes it can be done and there are plenty of you tube videos that show pretty much how to put a decoder in anything.  Dremel tool is your friend as it makes grinding off enough of the metal to get a TCS Z2 or any other small decoder in.  The split frame locos are actually pretty easy to do once you watch the video as I have converted about 6 of my DC locos to DCC now.  Oh you have to have good soldering skills as well because the decoder wires are like 30 gauge wire (really tiny)  The hardest part about converting to DCC is figuring out where you are going to mount the decoder plain and simple.  Some are easy others not so much.  good luck