News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound for Bachmann HO 4-4-0

Started by tirebiter3, January 29, 2015, 02:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tirebiter3

Which is the best sound system to have installed in a Bachmann HO 4-4-0?

ACY

Which 4-4-0?  The modern or old-time?

tirebiter3

ACY

A Tsunami would work fine. Most hobby shops online offer this model with sound on sale for $150-200 by the way.

tirebiter3

Yes, I am aware that quite a few hobby shops offer this model with sound already installed for $150-$200, however when I purchased my model that wasn't an option.
Thank you.

Trainman203

Mske sure you get the right speaker  or you won't be able to hear anything, it will be so quiet.

Steve Magee

Yes the Tsunami would work but the Tsu is 10 years old now and is outdated (compared with a WOW V3 from TSC for example). A new version is promised (Twonami?) but no sign of it on the horizon as yet. I haven't seen the 4-4-0 dismantled, so to speak, so I don't know how much space is available in the tender for the speaker and decoder (and wires!).

If there is sufficient room for a full size decoder - and I had to put a mini-Tsu in an On30 outisde frame 4-4-0 due to space - I would probably prefer the WOW. But don't forget others, such as the ESU Loksound for superior motor control or if you really want to go exotic, the Zimo MX648 with matching "sugar cube" Zimo speaker.

As they say in motor sport, performance costs money. How good do you want the performance?

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

Hunt

Click Here for detail info for one advanced option to adding sound to the HO 4-4-0

Steve Magee

Thanks Hunt. Good link. I completely forgot about on line install guides. My only quibble would be the restrictive holes drilled in the coal load to "let the sound out", as most of the load above the speaker is still plastic which reflects the pressure waves, and hence the sound back onto the speaker. I would probably cut the whole area out, use black stocking material to cover the hole then sprinkle some Woodlands Scenic coal over it (and the rest of the coal load - help stamp out plastic coal :-) ) and glue the coal in place before adding the speaker. But, only the user can justify its worth.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

AGSB

I'd be concerned with the "stocking" material vibrating excessively and distorting the sound more than the plastic reflecting the sound.

Steve Magee

My description was brief, but in full: cut the hole in the coal load. Cut a piece of stocking to overlap the whole. Using ACC, glue ONE side of the stocking down. Let dry. Then stretch the stocking over to the other side, and keeping tension on it, glue the other side down (ACC again) then hold it under tension until the glue dries. Same with both ends of the stocking piece. Sprinkle on the coal. leaving lots of air gaps for the sound. Secure in space with diluted white glue. I haven't noticed any deterioration of the sound.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust