News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 swaps

Started by roundhouse foreman, February 01, 2015, 04:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roundhouse foreman

I have an old Niagara pancake motor engine that has an open winding.
I have a new to me E-bay DCC NYC 6020 Niagara that has ovaled drive bar centers that click on every rotation.
Can I swap the drive from an old dc Bachmann NYC 6008 or Bachmann Plus NYC 5016 to the newer DCC engine undercarriage or parts therein since wheel parts are out of stock in the parts list currently?
The old units are even nicer than the new DCC parts.

Thanks,

RHF

ACY

I am almost certain I recall someone saying that this couldn't be done for some reason or another. There may be some sort of incompatibility. But I am not 100% positive this is the case, just going off of memory.

JRG1951

I have swapped a 4-8-4 can motor chassis with an older pan cake chassis on two occasions. The first was from a Union Pacific Niagara style train set engine to a Santa Fe style 4-8-4. The second was from a spectrum NYC Niagara to a Santa Fe style 4-8-4. The chassis are the same, but the body, valve gear and the cross-heads must all be swapped. I suspect that the GS4 is the same chassis also.

Here is link that will help to identify a used can motor chassis.
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11848&SearchTerms=Bachmann,4,8,4

NOTE: I have no experience with the current production 4-8-4 engines.

Regards, John

While we should never give up our principles, we must also realize that we cannot maintain our principles unless we survive. <> Henry A. Kissinger

electrical whiz kid

This is sort of off topic, but I had acquired an old Rivarossi challenger locomotive.  This engine(s) has a crack or break somewhere in the forward engine.  Has anyone any past experience with these beasts? 
SGT C.

ACY

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on February 03, 2015, 01:44:08 PM
This is sort of off topic, but I had acquired an old Rivarossi challenger locomotive.  This engine(s) has a crack or break somewhere in the forward engine.  Has anyone any past experience with these beasts? 
SGT C.
I have one that had a universal that came loose so I had to completely disassemble the locomotive to put it back into place and by some miracle I did not break or lose any parts or screws or anything.

union pacific 4014

yes and no it will fit   but  no way to mount the shell  to frame  that's what i run into try do the swap  with the  bachmann plus 4-8-4 and the 4-8-4s the have now  now the bachmann plus 4-8-4  with can motor and frame will swap  with the bachmann 4-8-4 with pancake motor with out a issue