News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

soundvalue cv112 and 119

Started by ALCO0001, January 19, 2015, 03:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO0001

HI,
I have noticed that all the sound value locos have cv 112 and 119 .These are sound configuration and effect processor  select.What purpose do they have .Trial and error tells me they do not do anything.Is this something that Tsumani only has and is misprinted or did I miss something AGAIN?
Jack

Len

CV 112  Settings vary depending on whether the decoder is for a Diesel, Steam, or Turbine locomotive
See the Diesel, Steam, or Turbine "Users Guide" for full details.
Diesel short form:

Diesel: Sound Configuration 1
Description
This CV is used to configure select sound effects.
A 1 in the corresponding bit position enables automatice triggering of the selected sound effect:

Bit 0: ACE, Auto Air Compressor Enable
0 = Air Compressor turns on/off with Function 10
1 = Auto Air Compressor turns on/off automatically with engine sound

Bit 1: RFE, Auto Radiator Fans Enable
0 = Radiator Fans turns on/off with Function 9
1 = Radiator Fans turns on/off automatically with engine sound

Bits 2-7: Not Used

With Bit0 and Bit1 set to 1, sounds occur randomly and Functions 9 and 10 have no effect.

=======================================

CV119 is for setting CVs 128 and Higher

All of the CVs for setting DDE, and many other new CVs, are above CV-128 and some DCC systems can not access CVs higher than 128.
The Tsunami has a cure for this problem. It uses CV-119 like a shift key. There are 10 setting in CV-119.
An example is a setting of 3 in CV-119 shifts the Seven Band Equalizer from CV-153 to 160 to the lower CV 120 to 127.
Then you use the CV numbers of 120 to 127 to set these upper numbered CVs

=======================================

More information can be found here: http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals.php

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ALCO0001

Nice answer to a question for Tsumani Again SoundValue By Bachmann is not Tsumani It is similar They us the tsumani users guide since at this

time there is no dedicated actual manual for the sound value line although they use the same board in most sense some of the lighting effects

and sound processors but the rest is Bachmanns proprietary stuff you should know that by now !Steam or Diesel it does not matter .Why are cv

112 and 118 listed in the default value listings for the soundvalue ?Is there more then meets the eye or ,is it something else that the soundvalue

uses to do something else that Tsumani does not or just another misprint .Soundvalue has no fans or compressors in there diesels,Steam has

compressors,ELECTRIC, well the paper that comes with that with the cv default list is a waste of paper since it has no identity with the product

gg1 it comes with.There literature is well known around the model railroad community as having issues with misprints ,but the referral to Tsumani

is ok if your into good enough being good enough/ but many potential customers and current ones are patient but feel they  should be better for a good sense of value and appreciation to there customers

Len

Maybe you'll have better luck getting answers to your questions if you ask Bachmann directly, rather than here. Contact info:

Bachmann National Sales Office
1400 East Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19124 USA
Telephone: 215-533-1600
Fax: 215-744-4699

Please send ALL Customer Service questions to service@bachmanntrains.com and ALL Parts questions to parts@bachmanntrains.com Or you can call 800-356-3910 (toll free for residents of the U.S. and Canada only) between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm EST.

Len

ALCO0001

Len ,
Thank you for the info .I will take the time for the greater good ,it couldn't hurt. 8)
Jack

ALCO0001

Hunt,
Had a pleasant conversation about the sound value Referances to Tsumani. They are made by Soundtraxx to Bachmann specs.The only reference is

by Soundtraxx since they are Tsumani boards Soundtraxx sounds,programing although Bachmanns firmware technology ,so kind of a hybred.That is

why the cv list programing by Soundtraxx is the same as Tsumani and referenced to ,but they have missing empty spots that the Tsumani would fill

with more sounds,start up ,shut down Eq,Beveb,more horns,brake squeal,compressors,brake control function 11,and in steam load ratio sound AND

the software to go with the sounds .These were left out to keep the cost down along with dedicated paperwork ala manual for each individual

sound value loco.So there are misprints in the cv lists so in time maybe corrections will be made ,but that cost too so don't hold your breath , but

the folks at Bachmann a certain tech/assistant mjr is very knowledgeable and educated by soundtraxx to answer questions and support there

product in a sort of a more personal support for the product and it is there surprisingly.Ask for Rodney ,write down the info you need so you can

remember the info you need in a timely manner for only one tech for this and he wears more then one hat there like most of us these

days when businesses work skelitine crews.There is Support at Soundtraxx for soundvalue  if you call them ,but they work with the skelitin crew

also .Ask for Branden there,but they are also going off the same literature and it seems learn what they have as you go .So trial and error is the

best ,but watch cv 29 it can cause issues with board failure if not set right and this came straight from Bachmanns tech.Rodney! Maybe if there is

enough failed boards under warranty they may put this literature in the box along with a accurate master manual for the soundvalue line.
Hope this helps, 8)
Jack

Len

ALCO0001,

Thanks for the info!

Speaking as a retired Electronics Engineer, that worked the support side for too many years, this really irritates me. Rolling out a new product, and pointing everyone at documenatation that's based on a different product is just wrong.

One of the basics of trying to help people is to point them at the manual. Which requires that the manual contain accurate information on that specific product. Or if it's for multiple products, at least points out what is and isn't applicable to that product. That's why businesses spend so much money on technical writers that can translate 'Engineer Speak' into language 'Real People' can understand.

I know marketing is always in a rush to get "New Product" out the door. But like you said, someone at Bachmann needs to get on the ball and get accurate information on the Sound Value decoder CV's posted somewhere ASAP. And from what you found out, it really needs to include the in's and out's of CV29 too if they don't want a really big spike in warranty returns.

Len

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on January 28, 2015, 05:10:16 PM
ALCO0001,
You can program a value to CV 29 that will without your knowledge alter the decoder address. Then of course you cannot control the locomotive or make CV changes by programming on the main. However, no changes to CV 29 will cause any decoder "board failure".
My voice recognition software drop a key word, (Bachmann does not allow me to edit my replies)

You can program a value to CV 29 that will without your knowledge alter the decoder controlling address. Then of course, you can not control the locomotive or make CV changes by programming on the main. However, no changes to CV 29 will cause any decoder "board failure".

Hunt

BTW –Understanding what each CV 29 bit controls and knowing how to compute  CV value will avoid creating the altered controlling address issue I mentioned. 

ALCO0001

Hunt ,
You are right on there about cv29.I found that doing some trial and error in there and found once it loses its address recall ,you have to go back into

service track programing and readdress it .It does not take it on the main.This was brought up with the service tech at Bachmann .He warned me

that if I had no knowledge of what I WAS DOING IN THERE THAT I could cause the decoder to fail since there are bits in there that control power reg.

wile running it in a certain programed way and if it is not reset asap it could fail.I spoke to him of having a certain knowledge in the area from

technical training reading and repairing on board  systems in the auto industry so this gives me somewhat of an understanding.No expert but a

knowledge  enough of how to be safe rather then sorry.This seemed to have made it less difficult for him to explain things a little ,but sometimes programing and engineering talk has to translated and some can teach what they know.Others Very much know ,but cannot teach it seems.Hope this helps 8)Jack

Hunt

Jack,
It seems to me you have formed some misconceptions by tail and error and incorrectly reason from my reply  I have validated what you think has happened. Changing CV 29 can cause the decoder, thus locomotive, not to respond or perform as you expect. However, what I am referring to, the decoder does not "[lose] its address recall" or is the value in any of the address CVs changed.

No value you program to CV 29 alone will cause the decoder to fail. Not even a value that includes a change to the Alternate Power Source (CV29, bit 2).

Sorry, I don't have time to go into details of this for you as I did on the flashing of ditch lights issue you were having. 

ALCO0001

Hunt ,
I believe you.If his statements were truly accurate for cv29 I would have taken out a few of those decoders by now .He did not like to here the idea of someone playing trial and error in cv29.Maybe he knows there is something in there that may unlock something else .I  have set 29 to 18 to unlock speed tables and he said that was ok , but nothing else.I have notes of cv29 and the effects on lighting ,direction and sound for 128 different CVs.I was trying to see if I could get the sound to load or change with direction.I was told only Tsumani steam has that option and it seems true there sad to say that is the only downfall I SEE  with there diesel true sound effect
Jack