ELEVEN INCH RADIUS CURVES & BACHMANN'S HO GP38-2s

Started by K487, February 09, 2015, 10:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K487

I posted this on another forum and thought it would obviously be appropriate here.

As I've posted before, on my HO layout I've got a right-angle figure-8 track where I run a 32-car ore train with one engine and one caboose. The loops are both 11" radius (yes, that's correct, not diameter) - with only one loop visible (basically the rest of the track is out of sight.)

For the last few years I've used an Atlas RS32 as motive power on this train. With no modifications it pulls the train around those 11" radius curves just fine.

Well, a few weeks ago I was doing a minor cleaning/lubing job on two of Bachmann's GP38-2s (running them free-wheeling on the bench and lubing them.)  When I finished I was debating changing out a couple of other engines on another train with these, when the thought came to me, "Why don't you try one of the GP38-2s on the head-end of the ore train? Naaw, that's crazy.  Well, how do you know?  It MIGHT go around the 11" radius curves."

You know me, so I did try it, and with no modifications (see below) to the engines they each took their turn and pulled the train around the figure eight track three times each, and they each went as smooth as silk - not one derailment. I will admit I was very surprised.

So, if you need some diesels for an HO track radius down to 11", you now know that the  Bachmann GP38-2s will work fine "out of the box"...... with this possible caveat - a real nice track easement going into and coming out of the 11" radius track curves may be helpful. (I use Atlas Code 100 Flex Track, and when soldered together first they will basically make their own perfect or near-perfect easement.)

"Caviat +2"  As info, a few years ago I added about 3 ounces of weight (biased to the front so the total engine weight is equalized on both trucks) to each of these GP38-2s, but I highly doubt that that made any difference in their tracking.  And except for also changing the headlight LED, installing metal couplers, and removing the DCC board (I'm a analog DC guy) I didn't modify those  engines at all.

K487