News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Remote Switches/Turnouts

Started by ehill2, February 03, 2015, 08:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

i agree with hunt.

I have found that what the real railroads do or have done is far more interesting than anything we could hope to model.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

I always like JS Geare's article on how to replace talgo trucks and install coupler boxes and knuckle couplers (he uses EZ Mate Mark IIs btw).  I have used his method on occasion.

*My January 1952 issue of Model Railroader magazine refers to turnouts in articles but adds in the magazine refer to switches (numbered) as opposed to turnouts.  The adds also refer to metal and plastic "fishplates".  I can remember a time when joiners and fishplates were terms used interchangeably to describe the same thing, rail joiners.
Keep Calm and Carry On

guslcp

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 07, 2015, 07:03:13 AM
The adds also refer to metal and plastic "fishplates".  I can remember a time when joiners and fishplates were terms used interchangeably to describe the same thing, rail joiners.

The only "fishplates" I'm familiar with are the ones served at my favorite fish restaurant... :)
Rail joiners..??  I've got over 100 in my layout....

Gus.

jbrock27

In case you are still looking or have to look again, I saw that plastic safe, Teflon reel grease in K Mart today for $2.99.
Keep Calm and Carry On

guslcp

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 07, 2015, 07:25:12 PM
In case you are still looking or have to look again, I saw that plastic safe, Teflon reel grease in K Mart today for $2.99.

Thanks JB....But, as I mentioned in the original thread, I did find my original grease tube a few days ago.

Gus.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
As an electrical contractor in the whole working spectrum of new material-If you refer to a package in which lamps came, they will be referred to as "lamps".  Proper usage of terminology is going to be imperative from about five years ago...to forever.  I will NOT refer to a lamp as a bulb to my customer.  I simply refer to things in the rightful name.
Technically, if you open NFPA70 to definitions, you will find I am correct; "Bulbs" are lamps; "Lamps" are referred to as "Luminaires" or "fixtures".  People are just going to have to get to know this.  Just for simplicity though; bulbs go into the ground; lamps light up the night.  The world is growing-exponentially.
SGT. C

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on February 08, 2015, 08:51:51 PM
Roger;
As an electrical contractor in the whole working spectrum of new material-If you refer to a package in which lamps came, they will be referred to as "lamps".  Proper usage of terminology is going to be imperative from about five years ago...to forever.  I will NOT refer to a lamp as a bulb to my customer.  I simply refer to things in the rightful name.
Technically, if you open NFPA70 to definitions, you will find I am correct; "Bulbs" are lamps; "Lamps" are referred to as "Luminaires" or "fixtures".  People are just going to have to get to know this.  Just for simplicity though; bulbs go into the ground; lamps light up the night.  The world is growing-exponentially.
SGT. C

Not going to argue with that SGT. C.

In the theatre biz where I am employed, a "luminaire" or "fixture"or a "Leko" (A brand name, like saying 'band aid' for an adhesive bandage) are what "lamps" are placed into to light the stage.  :)

Don't ask how many times I've used the saying "Bulbs grow in the garden, lamps light up the night."  :)

Cheers

Roger T.