News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New today, Bachman Sound Value Alco S-4

Started by MP2626, February 03, 2015, 07:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MP2626

I have just received the above locomotive, purchased from Micro-Mark.  This is the second one of these locomotives I've purchased in a the last two months.  I  ran the loco for a while on the from the factory, 03 address and locomotive ran very sporadically.  I programmed in the loco's new 4 digit address with my Digitrax Zephyr DCS50 and the loco still runs poorly!  It runs for a short bit, goes dead and runs for a bit and goes dead, etc. etc.  It is not stopping at specific locations and seems to stop at random locations that change everytime it runs through the same length of track.  I have clean track, none of my other locomotives stop and start like this one does.  I cleaned the wheels twice with Goo Gone on a shop towel and this improved it slightly.  I was hopeful that it would run in and begin to do better; but, this does not seem to be happening.  It maybe has 30 minutes of running time.   

Bucksco

Sometimes a wire can come loose from the PC board - remove the two screws that hold the coupler boxes in place, remove the shell and look at the board to make sure all the wires are making contact. If you do not want to do this give the Bachmann service department a call at (215) 533-1600 and ask for the service manager. They will do everything possible to make things right.

West Bound

If Yardmasters solution doesn't work, check the wheel wiper pickups. I had a similar issue. I carefully bent the wipers to apply more pressure to the back of the wheel and that solved the problem. -John West

MP2626

I have had the body off of the chassis and gave things a cursory look.  Nothing significant was noticed.  However, I will look at what both of you have suggested.  If I find anything I will report back.

MP2626

Quote from: West Bound on February 03, 2015, 08:59:32 PM
If Yardmasters solution doesn't work, check the wheel wiper pickups. I had a similar issue. I carefully bent the wipers to apply more pressure to the back of the wheel and that solved the problem. -John West

Did you need to remove the truck side frame assembly to get at the wipers to bend them?  It appears to me that they can't be bent with the wheels in place and to remove the wheels I need to remove the side frames.  So, how do I remove the side frame assembly?  Am I voiding the warrentee when I do this?

Bucksco

As long as you don't modify anything you are not voiding the warranty.

bapguy

One thing to do is take those plastic tabs that hold the wires on the decoder off and toss them. Solder the wires to the decoder. Use a 15 to 30 watt soldering iron to do this. The wires might look OK but the contact with the decoder can be problematic. I do this on all my decoders and never had a problem.  Joe 

MP2626

Did you need to remove the truck side frame assembly to get at the wipers to bend them?  It appears to me that they can't be bent with the wheels in place and to remove the wheels I need to remove the side frames.  So, how do I remove the side frame assembly?  Am I voiding the warrentee when I do this?
[/quote]

ALCO0001

To remove the side frames you need to pry out the side frame clip on either end of the truck with a pick or a small flat blade pocket screwdriver ,Keep

a hold of the truck itself wile doing this or you risk breaking the worm gear cover .The clips are a hole and pin type lock clip where the whole bottom

and side frames come off as 1 part .
THEN Carefully pry your drive axles out  with the flat blade screw driver Again holding the truck stable wile doing this.Then you can check ,Clean and

Adjust the wipers out so you will have more tension to the backs of the wheels ,But do not put a kink in the pick up or they will crack !!! Been there!

Wile your there check the solder joint at the pickups ,the wire should have a curl there for movement ,but I had a few break there also.

Then reassemble.ROLL YOUR AXLES BACK INTO THERE bearings wile holding the pick ups in so they set behind the wheels and make sure your

gear is on the correct side wile doing this since they are off set and only go in one way.This is something you would have to do for maintenance to lube the gear case and should not void warranty  TAKING the gear case cover off.Hope this helps!

8)Jack

MP2626

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm sending the loco back to Bachmann to figure out.

West Bound

MP2626, I placed the engine upside down in a foam cradle intact in a well lit area. I used two very small jewelers screw drivers, one each side of the wiper. Place one screw driver on the outside of the wiper and hold it against the frame. Place the other screw driver about half way along the wiper between the frame and wiper and push the wiper against the wheel. don't bend the wiper too much, just enough to apply a little more tension against the wheel. -John West

MP2626

John,

I found that although not very tight up against the wheel, at least one set of wipers was making good contact with a set of wheels all the time.  I concluded that poor electrical continuity through the wipers likely was not my problem.  So, I am awaiting a response from Bachmann on how to proceed.

Mark