News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Desert flyer question

Started by sedfred, June 02, 2015, 01:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

I have the desert flyer train set and the locomotive has been reliable ever since I got it, but I noticed on the box the locomotive has a red number plate, my locomotive does not, instead it is just black in place of the number plate. Did it fall off? Also the engine does not have full valve gear like it shows on the box. Is this normal?

jonathan

Likewise, the Pacific Flyer train set has a pictured 0-6-0 with valve gear on the box, but the included 0-6-0 does not. You can see this when you look at the box. I can't recall the Desert Flyer box). The loco is visible and does not have the valve gear.  Train sets use the most basic of equipment, usually, so one would expect this to be the case.  It is strange the photo shows the valve gear.

My 0-6-0's all came with a plain black number plate which I replace.  So in this case, I would say yes this in normal. The artist who did the box covers probably had a different model to work with when designing the artwork... or embellished to display their talent.

Regards,

Jonathan

sedfred

I do plan on upgrading this engine, Is there any way I can make a number plate? My engine is numbered 2121. As for the running gear I want to buy a new cylinder assembly with the more detailed gear and then swap it with the old one, What tools would it require? I also want to add a builders plate. I saw a picture of the new haven 0-6-0 and it had a builders plate instead of a blank imprint where the plate would be. Or is it just gold paint?

jonathan

That project will be difficult and pricey. Bachmann made a New Haven 0-6-0 with valve gear and gold painted builders plate. In fact I just saw 2 on eBay. The smoke box plate may be one of those detail parts that are available elsewhere. I do beano and find brass plates on line all the time.

This just an opinion. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jonathan