News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

e-z track turnouts

Started by rufuswhite@gmx.com, April 19, 2015, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rufuswhite@gmx.com

I have a couple of manual e-z track turnouts that I love.  I have several others that are designed to work electrically, but I don't love them; the points don't snap into place like the others.  I've been looking at ways to fix them and the Caboose Industries ground throw gadget looks like the most promising.  However, all the pictures and videos I've seen show them fitting onto a bar that is attached to the points.  My points don't have that bar; there is a lever on the side of the track bed that doesn't look compatible with the ground throw gadget.  Is there another similar gadget that would fit my points and/or that lever on the road bed?  I saw some videos that showed how to make some home made springs with paper clips or piano wire.  I could try that if I have to, but I'd rather find something easier.

Jerrys HO

You would have to design your own. Bachmann turnouts have no option for a ground throw like the one's from Caboose Industries.

rufuswhite@gmx.com

All right then there now.  What if I got some turnouts that the Caboose industries ground throw would fit?  Couldn't I adapt regular turnouts to work with E-Z track?  Maybe I could put some road bed under them?  Maybe I should use all regular track, and get away from e-z track altogether.  The e-z track seemed to be such a good idea, but now it doesn't seem so.  I can't seem to find any manual e-z track turnouts to buy.  That seem odd, because how did I get the ones I already have?  I think maybe they came with a track expansion set.  I'll try to figure out a way to ask Bachmann about it.

Joe Satnik

RW,

What are you using as a power source for your turnout controllers and solenoids?

Thanks.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

rufuswhite@gmx.com

My remote turnouts work okay electrically, but I want to operate all my turnouts manually.  I've been looking at such turnouts on another website.  They're made by Atlas, and they are manually operated.  I figure to get some of them, and see whether I can adapt them to use with e-z track.  I'll get away from e-z track altogether if that's what it takes.  I don't think it will come to that; I believe I can find a way to adapt.

Len

Converting manual EZ-Track switches to use manual ground throws:

Take the bottom plate off the switch, you'll see where the throwbar that connects the points together and moves them when the outside lever is moved.
Drill a hole, 1/16"-1/8" will do, through the roadbed in line with the throwbar.
Remove the piano wire connecting the internal "rack & pinion" assembly to the throw bar.
Bend an 'L' hook in one end of the wire.
From the inside, run the straight end of the wire through the hole you drilled, and connect the hooked end to the throwbar.
Bend the 'L' into a 'U' so it can't seperate from the throwbar.
Replace the bottom cover.
With the switch in place, add a piece of cork or basswood next to the switch for the ground throw to sit on.
Cut and bend the exposed end of the wire as needed to connect to the ground throw.
Install ground throw per instructions, making adjustments as needed for proper operation.
Enjoy.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jerrys HO

Len that is a great idea, I actually tried something similar. One thing I would suggest is to replace that flimsy wire with a stronger piece or it will just flex and not throw the points. Been there done that!
Ruf, you can adapt any turnout to EZ track, you will have to cut off the locking tabs on the EZ track and I believe Ogauge cork will bring the turnout up to the EZ track level but still may need a little shimming.

Joe Satnik

RW,

My question about your power source was to determine if the voltage was

too low (too weak to move the points over completely),

or too high (so strong the points bounce off the stock rail). 

If you like the EZ-Track manual turnouts, I suppose you would have to wait til some come up for auction. 

Another way would be to buy the track packs and sell the rest of the track pieces to others. 

Hope this helps.

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Len

Quote from: Jerrys HO on April 20, 2015, 06:22:00 PM
Len that is a great idea, I actually tried something similar. One thing I would suggest is to replace that flimsy wire with a stronger piece or it will just flex and not throw the points. Been there done that!

Huh. Worked back when I did it, maybe they changed the wire. Using stiffer wire's probably not a bad idea anyway. I'll keep that in mind if I ever do another one.

The main point is it can be done, without a lot of effort, if you really want to.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rufuswhite@gmx.com

Thanks for the suggestion, Len.  I can't tell much just reading it, but I'll print it and follow your instructions after I take that bottom plate off.  I don't have to worry about ruining anything.  It's no good as it is, anyway.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful input.

rufuswhite@gmx.com

While I'm waiting for my new wheels to arrive, I'll get back to my turnout project.  I modified one of my turnouts like you described.  I used a paper clip straightened out and shaped.  I found a little slide switch in my junk box, so I plan to see if I can connect it to the paper clip in such a way as to get some snap action when I throw the points.  I have to establish a solid relationship between the turnout and the slide switch.  All my track now is just sitting on the table.  Nothing is anchored down yet.