News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N E-Z track WYE track sections needed

Started by Puddintan3, February 17, 2015, 08:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puddintan3

What E-Z track sections are needed to construct a typical wye intersection using two standard turnouts (not #4 or #6) and the Bachmann wye? I'm trying to model this in SCARM, but I can't seem to get it all to fit.

Joe Satnik

Dear Pt3,

On Anyrail, each half of the wye shows 4.75 degrees of turn, and the standard turnout is 30 degrees of turn. 

In a wye configuration, you would need to add up to 90 degrees. 

So, 90 - 30 -4.75 degrees = 55.25 degrees.

So, you would need to find curves or fractional curves that added up to 55.25 degrees

30 + 15 + 7.5 + 3.75 = 56.25 degrees, which is one (1) degree off on each side, or 2 degrees off for the entire wye system.   

There's probably enough slop in the system to make it work.

If you wanted perfection, you could use the 14 degree curve found only with a #4 turnout, but that would get pricey.

Tip: Build your wye in CAD using the perfect 14 degree pieces. 

This will get you in the ballpark for the straight length needed between the main-line ends of the 2 standard turnouts. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Puddintan3

Thanks for the help, Joe! I was kicking around layout ideas, and I want some way to turn trains.

I worked in a building next to the Norfolk Southern wye in Madison, AL. They used it almost daily to turn the train going to the Huntsville International Airport Intermodal Terminal.

Joe Satnik

Pt3,

Sounds like an interesting prototype.

You will need to use insulating rail connectors on both rails of both diverging legs

of the wye turnout, and use polarity changing electrical switches to feed power

separately to the mainline (standard turnouts side of the insulators)

and the stub (wye turnout side of the insulators).

Book #12, "The Complete Atlas Wiring Book" covers the details of DC block wiring,

including the use of their "Twin" polarity changing switch. 

With DCC, the rail insulator locations stay the same,

but the polarity changing switches are replaced by DCC auto-reversers. 

Hope this helps.

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Puddintan3

Thanks again! With your suggestions, I was able to design a dual-wye layout. I should be able to turn easily.

I hope to use automation of some sort to control the wyes, even though I run DC only. I have used the Atlas control panel to control reverse loops before, but I'll also consult the usual literature.

I'll try to do an upload of the file.

Len

A bit finicky to get adjusted initially, about the only reliable commercial auto-reverse unit for DC is made by Circuitron. The instructions can be found here: http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/ins/800-5400ins.pdf

Because the electrical issues are actually easier to deal with, there are a bunch of auto-reversing units for DCC layouts. Which is one of the reasons DCC has gained in popularity.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.