News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC to DCC upgrade J 4-8-4

Started by lannybren, February 13, 2015, 03:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lannybren

I have a Bachmann Plus N&W J   Item No. 11316.  The Club in now 99% DCC. Is there any hope of changing this engine to DCC. I have been told no, but thought i would ask the Bach Man.

ACY

It is definitely possible, but depending on your level of experience and your abilities you probably won't be able to convert it without some assistance from someone who is more knowledgeable and experienced. Your locomotive is not DCC ready so this isn't "plug & play." It would be much easier and quicker to just upgrade to the later Spectrum version that is available as DCC ready (has 8 pin socket), DCC (has regular decoder) or DCC with Sound.

You can get a Spectrum version with DCC or DCC ready on ebay or at train shows for around $50-$75.

Len

I couldn't find the 'J', but instructins for installing a decoder in the Bachmann 4-8-4 Niagra, which I believe is similar, are shown here:
http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/Niagara%204-8-4/bachman_niagra_4-8-4.htm

As ACY said, definately not a 'Plug and Play' job.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

There's nothing like paying a tech to do a job you don't understand.  It comes back right , the engine is not ruined, and you are happy.