News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin 2-8-0 consolidation loco dcc

Started by vnk325, February 19, 2015, 11:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vnk325

I purchased a new 2-8-0 consolidation dcc installed from Bachmann in 2010 and have never had it out of the box.  I would like to add sound to it and also some how install a backup light. I see on Bachmann web site that they have a tender with a backup light that is close to what I have but it states its for a 2-10-0 loco. I was wondering if this might fit on the old tender frame? Also what sound decoder I might use and what size speaker I would need to buy.
Thanks ahead for any advise if any I get. Thank you.

bapguy

I'm not sure about the tender. Soundtraxx has instructions  for installing a sound decoder. One thing I would change is replacing the wiring harness with their part # 810135. This has a 8 pin plug on 1 end and the 9 pin plug on the other end. On the sound decoder, the wiring harness comes off. Replace this with the other one and plug in the decoder to the PC board in the tender.   Joe
http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/appnotes/bachmann280.pdf
  Link to Soundtraxx

ACY

You would have to completely swap the tenders and then the connection with that tender is incorrect so you would have to see if the tender came with the appropriate wires or see if you can buy them separately.
As far as which decoder and speaker, that is just up to personal preference so long as it fits.

jonathan

Consider:  There are Bachmann "Sound onboard" Consolidations online and/or ebay for around 150 bucks.  It will cost you about the same amount to buy all the components needed to install sound in yours:  decoder, speaker, 8-pin plug, etc.  Also, there is hole-drilling, soldering, programming, etc involved.  THEN the locomotive will not be dual mode when you are done.

I mention all this because I have gone both ways and really prefer having the sound already installed.  This is just my opinion... everyone has one of course.

The backup light is another issue. Plenty folks can help with that.

As mentioned in many old posts, swapping tenders is simply a matter of taking the electronic guts out of the old tender and putting the old guts in the new tender.  It's that simple, but I don't think that will help with the backup light issue.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

I did this to a Connie, not a sounder though:

I cheated with my sound Connies:  they have non-working reverse lights.

Regards,

Jonathan