News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound decoder in Heavy 4-8-2

Started by Clint81201, February 22, 2015, 03:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clint81201

I want to install a Digitrax SDXN136PS decoder in my Bachman Heavy 4-8-2 (DCC on board) loco. Is this all done in the tender on the existing board  or do I have to take off the loco shell also? Any special modifications for the speaker?

ACY

The install is generally done in the tender only, the speaker will have to be very small to fit inside, you will want to have a baffle and drill out holes for the speaker. The hardest part about installing sound in N scale is finding sufficient space for all the components and not sacrificing too much sound quality in the process.

Clint81201

So, hook up the new decoder directly to the light board (after removing the old decoder) and find a spot for the speaker that can be baffled?

spookshow

Yes, desolder the stock decoder and replace it with a sound decoder.

Unfortunately, the tender PC board is mounted basically flush with the tender chassis so the sound is probably going to be a bit muffled (even with holes drilled in the chassis).

Good luck!
-Mark

sumfred

Mounting the speaker underneath the coal bin with holes drilled through the coal load work very well. I've done all of my steam that way (with the exception of those having a speaker mounting provided from factory)
The heavy mountain has a metal coal load, so drilling is a little more complicated, but can be done. (don't forget to paint the holes black after drilling as the blank metal will show.

Fred

gatrhumpy

Ditch the crappy Digitrax decoder and get a Soundtraxx decoder. MUCH better sound quality.

I have one in my 4-8-2 Heavy, and it sounds amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoXjzsxCiVg