News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

shays

Started by dagnarble, February 26, 2015, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagnarble

how many styles of shays does bachmann make Climax, Heisler any others?

rogertra

Quote from: dagnarble on February 26, 2015, 06:14:24 PM
how many styles of shays does bachmann make Climax, Heisler any others?

[Begin Pedantic Mode] Climaxes and Heislers are not Shays.  They may be logging/industrial engines but they are not Shays.  [Pedantic Mode End]  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

dagnarble

Thanks that fact hit me just after I hit send. Another question though. They have Climax and Shays with sound on board, but not the Heisler any reason why?

Irbricksceo

As Roger stated, Shays, Heislers, and Climaxs are all different types of geared locomotives which were known for hight pulling power at low speeds.

Bachmann has, at various points produced 2 and three truck variants of both shays and climaxs as I recall however I do not believe they have ever made a heisler. I think Riverossi did though.

edit: To answer your question, Heislers were simply less common. That is my guess at least.
Modeling NYC in N

WoundedBear

The three makers you named are all "geared locomotives" as opposed to a "rod engine". Bachmann made a three truck Shay in HO, as a wood or steel cab, with a coal bunker or an oil tank, and all had the necessary pieces to make them into wood burners as well.

In HO Bachmann has done a three truck Climax and a two truck. I believe all of these models are coal fired.

Bachmann does not do an HO scale Heisler.

Sid

Len

Right. Bachmann's Stearn-Heisler is On30.

The only HO Heisler's I can think of right off the top of my head were made by Hornby and Rivarossi.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: Len on February 26, 2015, 07:01:28 PM
Right. Bachmann's Stearn-Heisler is On30.

The only HO Heisler's I can think of right off the top of my head were made by Hornby and Rivarossi.

Len

Yep Rivarossi made the Heislers, I've got two, an early run(runs loudly and truck mounted couplers) and the later one(quieter and body mounted coulpers I do believe). I also just got a 3 Truck Climax(Bachmann( since all the 2 truck climaxes I have all have drive line problems. I'm hoping with the announcement of the 2 truck climaxes they update the gears and all and I can buy new trucks and drive shafts for mine to get em back up and running

Heres a pic of the Climax and Heisler
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF