News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new to this

Started by duck68, February 27, 2015, 09:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck68

new to this would like info on different scales (have ho) and do I need to add additional power

rogertra

Love to help but your question is like asking "How deep should I dig a hole?"

We need more info, like what do have in the way of motive power right now, how much track etc., etc..

Cheers

Roger T.

Hunt

Bachmann has products in the following scales.

Click Here   for links to download both 2015 product catalogs.

charon

Hunt,
Thanks for posting the really nice size comparison picture. I am saving it.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Hunt

Quote from: charon on February 28, 2015, 07:23:08 AM
Hunt,
Thanks for posting the really nice size comparison picture. I am saving it.
Chuck
Chuck,
I used a link from another website in order to display the chart.  There is a companion chart. I will post the companion chart when Bachmann restores both links on the Bachmann website to these charts.

Hunt

charon

Hunt,
Thanks again, those are definitely helpful.  I had seen comparisons before, but they didn't show the same engines. They had shown a 1/20.3 Forney next to a 1/48 Northern!
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

ebtnut

Not to be too nit-picky, but O and On30 are the same scale (1:48).  On30 represents 30 inch narrow gauge equipment which is generally smaller in size than the standard gauge equipment, but are still 1:48 scale. 

Hunt

Quote from: ebtnut on March 04, 2015, 10:47:59 AM
Not to be too nit-picky, but O and On30 are the same scale (1:48).  On30 represents 30 inch narrow gauge equipment which is generally smaller in size than the standard gauge equipment, but are still 1:48 scale. 
Not clear what you are nit-picking as the charts label O and On30 scale as 1:48

What is missing from the front of the locomotive view chart is cross-section of track under each locomotive with gauge measurement displayed between rails.

Len

If you really want to get picky, HOn30 and On30 should really be HOn2-1/2 and On2-1/2 for 'two and a half foot gauge'.

Using 30 inches instead of 2-1/2 feet started when narrow gauge took off, and advertising people discovered the 1/2 key that was on typewriter keyboards, and type setting machines, didn't exist on computer keyboards.

It caused some confusion at first, because people thought the 'n30' was a typo of 'n3', or 3ft gauge.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ebtnut

Hunt:  The picky part is that the chart calls out O Scale and On30 Scale, when they are both O Scale models.

Bucksco

The photo was originally taken to show the different scales produced by Bachmann. It was added to the posting for illustrative purposes.

Hunt

Not to be too nit-picky, but O and On30 are the same scale (1:48). . .  .

Both charts are labeled to show that.

. . .   On30 represents 30 inch narrow gauge equipment which is generally smaller in size than the standard gauge equipment, but are still 1:48 scale. 

Both charts illustrate that.