News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum DCC equipped 8-40CW

Started by mikeinwi, March 26, 2015, 02:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeinwi

Hi group,

I have a Spectrum 8-40CW, item No. 83504.  My lay out is powered by Digitrax, and this loco seems to run very slowly.  I have to turn the throttle up to 40 to get it to move, and continue turning it up to almost 70 for any running at all.   As for cars, the more cars I add, the higher I have to crank the throttle.  For a comparison, any of the Kato locos I have start to creep at 01, and at 25, I'm moving at track speed, with 20 cars.

This is an eBay find, about 2 years ago.  I have no idea how old it is, but it looks like brand new, with very little run time.

Any suggestions?  or is that just the way these things roll?  I can't MU with any other of my locos because of the massive power draw it takes to get it going.

Thanks,
Mike.

ACY

Your locomotive is likely in the ballpark of 10 years old, but could even be 15 years old. The decoder in this locomotive is not exactly that great compared to today's standards especially so perhaps try a better decoder.

bapguy

If your system reads CV's, read CV's 2,3,4,5,and 6. Try programming CV2 to a value of 20 to 30, CV3 and CV4 to 10, CV5 to 130 and CV6 to 80. This may help.  Joe

MCENTRAL

Mine did the same thing seems the grease in the trucks was too thick so I cleaned that out and lubricated ,adjusted the wheel gauge .If it is too far out it caused a bind when turning .Also I  changed the decoder .The buzz sound when away and it ran a lot better.
Pat

mikeinwi

Thanks guys, looks like I have some work to do.  Another addition to the "to do" list.

Mike.

mikeinwi

An update, so far I've replaced the decoder with a Digitrax, removed the axles, cleaned and checked the gauge, and test run the chassis.  Lights are a lot brighter, and it responds a little better, but more work to do.  While removing the axles, I noticed a brownish grease all over everything.  I think I'll drop the trucks, take the gearing out, and completely clean everything.  It looks like some of the grease may have migrated into the contact strip on each side of the trucks.

Mike.

MCENTRAL

Almost forgot ,make sure the truck sideframes do not move at all .If they do it causes the axle to drag on the metal gear case frame.I ,repaired a sd45 ,same truck that had the loose sideframes  and it went from 1/2 throttle to get it to move, to notch 2 to get it to move. I think the early ones out of the 90's had this problem ,but have been redesigned ,since the new heritage diesels use the same truck with different side frames of course.
Pat

mikeinwi

I've taken the trucks completely apart, cleaned up the gears, cleaned up the brown grease that was everywhere, double checked the wheel sets, and it seems to improved a tiny bit.  I guess it is what it is.  Later tonight, I'll couple it to a train and let it gets some run time in.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I never checked the CV's, as I figure with a new decoder in it, they should all be at default settings.

Mike.

MCENTRAL

Lube the worm bearings and the gear case ,I actually use castrol  10 w 40 high mileage just a few drops with a toothpick .Had it ready to do a oil change .Cleaned all the gunk out of the metal gear cases,make sure the wiring to the trucks is solid connection.Lube the MOTOR BEARINGS, universals joints on the drive shaft the same way ,then clean up the excess with a cue tip ,a few if you like me.C lean the wheels with some alcohol.If all else fails and it has a stock decoder , Get another! These are not noiseless decoders and put out a lot of noise witch is not good at all.These are very good heavy engines that need good lube and electronic controll.I put  sound in mine and have the best of both worlds .A Spectrum Diesel with full function sound that will creep tie to tie or pull a 25 car coal train by it self.
Pat