DCC Switch Machine for Bachmann Steel Turnouts?

Started by jviss, March 13, 2015, 07:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jviss

I searched in large and couldn't find anything on this topic.  

What I'd like is a slow motion, DCC controlled switch machine for the Bachmann steel turnouts.  Ideally it would be designed specifically for these turnouts and snap right on.  

I don't have an "under the layout" option, because my "layout" is sectional track on the floor.  

I'm in the process of reading up and researching G scale track layout, wiring, DCC, and more, so please excuse me for my dumb questions.  I don't think what I seek is available, but maybe the experts here can guide me.

Thanks,

jv

Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A

Kevin Strong

Take a look at Train Li's "ProDrive" switch machine:

http://www.trainli.com/bprodriveb-dcdcc-p-312.html

It's a slow-motion switch machine that is compatible with DCC. If I'm reading the description, it has the accessory decoder built in already, so there's no need to buy any other control electronics. (I'd confirm this with Train Li, but that's my reading.)

How easy that is to mount to Bachmann's track, I can't say. The description says it is easily mounted to LGB switches.

Later,

K

jviss

Thanks Kevin.  Fifty bucks - ouch!  I was thinking of trying to make one.  I thought I'd use a small R/C plane servo, making a linkage that can be forced manually without damage; use a single function DCC decoder, and build a circuit that outputs a 1 ms, 5V pulse with function off, and a 2.5 ms pulse with function on.  I can just use a slow-motion servo, as are used for flaps or landing gear, or move my pulses slowly from one 1 to 2.5 ms slowly (it's a train of pulses nominally 20ms apart).  Would be nice if the decoder supplied 5V, else I'll need a rectifier and regulator.  Even so, should be easy.
Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A