News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann DCC Crossovers

Started by kdgrant6, March 13, 2015, 08:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

I'm on my 2nd left crossover.  The first had a problem that, according to Bachmann's service department, was caused by a defective switch.  I sent it back to MB Klein, who sent a new one that has the same problem.  So I'm assuming that it's something that I've done wrong.

The problem: I programmed the crossover to respond to #4 on my DCC Command.  I used a separate piece of track to program the crossover. 

When I power up the layout, the problem crossover may or may not respond to the # 4 button (after I've pressed 9 and the yellow buttons).  If I run the train's through a time or two, the crossover works.  Then it may go out again.  What I mean is that almost always one of the two switches for the crossover will work, but the other is the one that will hang up.  If I manually adjust it a couple of times, it usually works for a few switches, or it may work and then stop again.

It sounds like a wiring problem, but nothing seems loose and I've checked the EZ Track on either side of the crossover.

The likelihood of both crossovers being bad is possible, but I feel, not likely.

It seems to be operator error.

I'd really welcome some help.

Hunt

Build short test track using the DCC  #6 single crossover  turnout - left  and 2 straights on each leg. One of the straights (total 8) will be a terminal rerailer to connect power.

Test  - activate turnout switching without a locomotive on track. Then test running each of your locomotives on each route. 

kdgrant6

I've already done that.  It programmed easily, but then demonstrated the problems I described.  I suppose I could disconnect it, run it to another terminal piece, and test it.  I could turn it over and wiggle the wires to see if a loose wire is the problem.

I seems unlikely that this crossover has the same defect as the one I sent back.

Hunt

When using test track and testing as suggested, did the turnout fail to consistently operate when a particular locomotive was on the track? If yes, which one(s)?

Hunt

correction in bold ---
Quote from: Hunt on March 15, 2015, 01:21:14 PM
Build short test track using the DCC  #6 single crossover  turnout - left  and 2 straights on each leg. One of the straights (total 8 ) will be a terminal rerailer to connect power.

Test  - activate turnout switching without a locomotive on track. Then test running each of your locomotives on each route. 

The SMF Bulletin Board Code used by this board parses
8)
as the 8) smiley

kdgrant6

I'm afraid I don't have that many extra pieces of straight EZ track.  I have curved pieces though.

I still think the problem comes from a poor connection.  The right crossover has no problems.  As for the left, one of the two switches always works when I press the # that activates it.  The other switch in that left crossover has intermittent problems.  When trains cross it, the problem usually clears up.

I will take the pieces apart and put them back and see what happens.

Jerrys HO

This is why I stick with the non decoder one's.