News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Nailing Down EZ Track

Started by kdgrant6, March 18, 2015, 10:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

Someone else recommended nailing down EZ Track to secure it.  That individual pointed out that each piece of EZ track had still closed hole outlines to accommodate track nails.  All one needs to do is open the hole and drive a nail.

Into what?  Foam?  Will foam hold enough to make a difference?

Will double-sided carpet tape (Lowe's SureTape) work better?

Just wondering.

Do the nails need to be 9 inches?

Just kidding.

the Bach-man

Dea KD,
I am a recent convert to indoor/ outdoor carpet tape. It holds the track securely, but the track can easily be removed and repositioned.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jbrock27

I don't think it will be a worthwhile endeavor for you to try to use nails to secure the track into foam.  Go with one of the other methods I have recently recommended, such as the tape.

I do recall that Moose counter sunk and used drywall screws in the track, through the foam and into his base of plywood.  He said it worked for him.  Not something I would do as my first choice, but again, a matter of personal preference and choice.  This still aint Rusha !
Keep Calm and Carry On

MrMoose

Yes, I have 2" foam on my plywood so to reach the plywood I used 3" #8 drywall screws. I would of preferred #6 but they don't make them in 3" length. I drilled between two ties and then countersunk the hole so the head of the screw would seat level with the top of the ties. If I would of used 1" foam then I could of went with #6 screws.
I did it this way so if I wanted to change the layout or add to it. I would do so just by removing the screws. No glue or caulking to deal with.

kdgrant6

The Bach Man suggested tape two or three weeks ago.  I bought ShurTape at Lowe's to use (1.44 in wide) for the track and wider tape to secure the Woodland Scenics inclines.

I just brought up the nails because of curiosity.

For me, tape is a better option.  It mitigates the "Oh, no.  What have I done" aspect of the job..

Len

Nails and screws will not hold well in foam. Carpet tape, low temp hot melt glue, and silicon sealant are all better options. I used to use hot melt glue, but plan to try the carpet tape on my next layout.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jerrys HO

Another fault of using screws is it will make the plastic ties separate from the roadbed if over tightened.