MRC Tech 3 Power Command Model 9500 for G Scale Train Set?

Started by punkin, May 04, 2015, 12:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkin

Hello everyone,

I am still trying to assemble my equipment list for my first train set. I won't be doing anything large or fancy...I plan to run a single 4-4-0 or 4-6-0 engine with a tender and maybe a couple cars. This will be indoors and on the floor in my living area. I estimate an 8' diameter circle or possibly an oval but that's about it. There seems to be a big jump between the starter set power supplies and the larger systems with very little in between. I have found a nicely priced product but I'm not sure if this is suitable for my application. Anyone with experience using the MRC Tech 3 Power Command Model 9500?

Thank you for your consideration.
I can type my handle with one hand.

Len

The MRC 9500 is a 3amp power pack, about the same as what comes in many of the LS starter sets. We used one to run an overhead LS display track at the store my repair shop was located in for the better part of 10 years. It had roughly 100ft of track, and we used a varienty of single motor locos and cars of various types. Trains ran anywhere from 2 to 5 cars, depending on the type, length, and weight. The trick was to have plenty of power feeds from the 9500 to the track.

And the built in meters are handy. After you've used it a while, you'll notice the 'normal' amp draw for a particular voltage. If it starts creeping up after a lot of running it's time to clean the track and wheels. The On/Off switch is nice too. Especially if the outlet is in an awkward location to get at.

If you start getting into multimotor or real heavy locos, or long lighted passenger trains, you'll need something with more amps. But for most things the 9500 works just fine.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

punkin

Thank you Len,

I just placed an order for my power supply. The gentleman at Trainworld asked about what I planned to have for my set and track and then suggested the 9900 unit. I don't recall but I think he said it was 3 Amps. He seemed to think it would work well for my small setup.

I can type my handle with one hand.

Chuck N

3 amps should be good for what you want. 

My understanding from listening to people complain about starter set power supplies is that they are rated at 1 amp or less.  I have a 3 amp unit by Bridgewerks and it hasn't given me any problems with loads like you are talking about running.

Chuck

Joe Zullo

Chuck is correct. Starter sets come with power supplies of 1 amp or less.  :-*