News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how detailed will the ho usra 2-8-2 be?

Started by sedfred, March 31, 2015, 01:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Roger, Athearn's never been known for their steam loco production (not sure if the same applies to their Genesis line).  Agree you're better off sticking to the Spectrums.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on April 02, 2015, 07:09:27 AM
Roger;
The innards of most Bachmann locomotives, in my opinion, supersedes most other similar product on the market.  I have brass that I have to tinker with to get to run as smoothly, so in my case, all the improvements would be on the superstructure. 
As far as working pilot couplers goes, this is where the skills in this endeavor are honed.  Not my intent to "lord" it over anyone; just to mention that as modellers, we should be able to get around most obstacles in that category.  I know I am going to wrinkle some noses on that comment, but it is my opinion-only.
SGT C.  (Rich)

You are "preaching to the choir" here Rich.  :)

Practically everyone of my steam locos has had some amount of kitbashing or detail adding done to it.  And again, the same with my diesels, m.u. cables, different bell, horns, sunshades, etc., added.  :)

I agree, there are more skills in this hobby than just opening a box and placing rolling stock on the track or a some pre-built building on scenery.

Cheers

Roger T.

West Bound

A couple of questions to THE BACHMAN.
1. After looking at the 2015 catalog, it appears there are no spectrum models being produced for 2015. Is that correct or did I miss something?
2. Is the DCC ready or Sound Value Model your 'top of the line model' and is this is what you have referred to as 'Standard Model?
3. How does the motor and running gear compare with the Spectum vs standard model?
Thanks, John West

rogertra

My fear is the "Spectrum" line has come to an end because of production costs and the quality of the product will now be lowered to the new "Standard Line" range, which will not be to the same high quality as set by "Spectrum" and that will be sad.

I for one have limited my steam purchases to mainly "Spectrum" engines and if the "Spectrum" range is phased out, so will go my Bachmann purchases. 

Cheers.

Roger T.

Trainman203

The Spectrum series as we knew and loved it probably costs too much to produce to sell in justifiable quantity.   Only a limited number of modelers want an expensive highly detailed model with a very complete sound system, understand the expense, and are willing to pay.   Beginner modelers and especially toy buyers are very happy with much less, such as molded on detail and incomplete  sound packages.   However, their numbers are much greater and there is more money to be made.

I'm sorry to see Spectrum largely go away but I understand, business is business and numbers are everything in business. I am glad I purchased my stock while I could.  The smallest number of one particular engine is three and the largest is eight.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on April 03, 2015, 04:24:57 PM

I'm sorry to see Spectrum largely go away but I understand, business is business and numbers are everything in business. I am glad I purchased my stock while I could.  The smallest number of one particular engine is three and the largest is eight.

Same here.  Only wished I'd picked up three of the 2-10-2s with Baker gear but all that was available were the ones with that odd looking Southern gear.

Ah well, several years ago, I picked up three Canadian branded "President's Choice" (Canadian Superstore, a supermarket chain, rebranded IHC locos) at really good prices.  I scrapped the odd looking IHC tender, kitbashed three Hicken tenders into coal tenders, add all weather cabs and now I have three nice look, though still DC, 2-10-2.  Still not happy with the trailing truck and may still change that to a four wheeler and have a light 2-10-4 rather like the Central Vermont 2-10-4s.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

At present. I have enough motive power so that any further purchase would be totally discretionary.  I am sad to see the Spectrum line go, but that is the way Bachmann wants to operate.  I personally do not see their logic-all of the dies, parts and resources are in place, so that keeping the line up is a wise move..  Shooing good customers out of the barnyard, in my opinion, just doesn't begin to make sense.  "Toy" modellers, kids, etc, won't care one way or the other-but there are a ton of good modellers-a lot on this site-who would be less than happy with the circumstances that Bachmann has used to legitimize their move.   There are several good companies out there who would probably jump in if Bachmann drops the ball.
SGT C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on April 05, 2015, 01:57:56 PM
At present. I have enough motive power so that any further purchase would be totally discretionary.  I am sad to see the Spectrum line go, but that is the way Bachmann wants to operate.  I personally do not see their logic-all of the dies, parts and resources are in place, so that keeping the line up is a wise move..  Shooing good customers out of the barnyard, in my opinion, just doesn't begin to make sense.  "Toy" modellers, kids, etc, won't care one way or the other-but there are a ton of good modellers-a lot on this site-who would be less than happy with the circumstances that Bachmann has used to legitimize their move.   There are several good companies out there who would probably jump in if Bachmann drops the ball.
SGT C.

To me, this seems to be a return to the Bachmann of pre-Spectrum days.

If the Spectrum line goes, I for one will be one of those that will look elsewhere for steam power.  It was the Spectrum line 2-8-0 that convinced me to go back to modelling 1958 and it was the Spectrum line that forced the other rtr steam manufacturers to raise their standards.  I was looking forward to a Spectrum standard 2-8-2, not another run of the mill rtr steam loco, that's regressive.  I have several of each of the non articulated Spectrum models with the exception of the 2-8-4, only two ever used in Canada and the 2-10-2 because of the odd ball Southern valve gear.  Why they chose that over Baker gear I'll never know.  :) 

Bachmann regressing back to toy train standards will be a major loss to the steam modeller.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
I believe it was because-in part-to the large fans of roads like the New Haven-which used 2-10-2s with southern valve gear, that supported that market and thus demand.  Proto 1000 did a DL-109 (they owned 61 out of 65? built), and did it in New Haven livery-as well as the E-33s (Bricks; EF-4).  This area (southern New England) has a very large new Haven enclave-and they struck a nerve, thus selling like hot cakes.  I's true what they say:  "cash is king".
Rich
SGT C

ebtnut

Do we know what the cab configuration of the B&O version will be?  The original Q-3, No. 4500, got a somewhat square cab, which it appears to have kept through it's lifetime.  Most of the subsequent USRA Light Mikes got a rounder cab, which appears to have been applied to the rest of the Q-3's. 

West Bound

Why don't we wait for Mr Bachman to answer my questions (post 17 above) about the differences between spectrum and the 'new' standard line before jumping to conclusions.
I just hope the quality doesn't digress from the spectrum line. Years ago I purchased several Bachman Plus engines. I sold them and didn't buy another Bachman product until the spectrum line came out with top notch quality models every good as brass.
- John West

electrical whiz kid

John;
I agree with your reasoning, which is why I posted what I had.  If Bachmann goes down in quality, then it won't matter much.   We will mostly all go to another manufacturer who will take up the slack.  Tears of regret are short-lived with the aspect of competition.  If you develop a standard that stands out among your peers, then by jingo, you'd best as hell maintain that standard if you want to keep making money and stay on top.  You may do some other things in which to improve efficiency, marketing, thus ROE, but you NEVER cut quality-that is the cardinal sin of manufacturers. 
With the aspect of Paragon, and others like them, all just as good as Bachmann waiting in the wings, it would be healthy advice to Bachmann not to pass the baton just yet...The buying public has a very short memory.
SGT C.

Bucksco

The sky isn't falling. The Spectrum line was developed in the mid 1980's as a line of prototypically scale models. Yes they had a high level of detail for that time but as can be seen just about all of Bachmann's products have risen in quality. As a matter of fact some "Spectrum" models have found their way into the Standard product line such as the 44 ton switcher and the 2-8-0 consolidation. Does this mean that they are now less detailed? No! The quality of the Standard line is catching up to the Spectrum models. If we decide to reissue older Spectrum line models into the Standard line will that make them less detailed and of a lower quality? I think not. As has been stated earlier in this thread sales drive the way we do business. If we can produce models with the same drive mechanisms and give the consumer a choice of an economy sound decoder or a DCC ready loco which will accept a high end sound decoder we will sell more product and stay in business. The Spectrum line will not go away but the releases will certainly be a bit more limited to more specialized pieces. This is evidenced by recent releases such as the EM-1, The On30 Whitcomb, the Schnabel car, etc... We are trying to produce items with a broad appeal that maintain a high level of detail. Look at this photo. It is a Standard line 2-6-0 mogul parked next to a "Spectrum" K-4 Pacific. I personally think the detail level and mechanics of both locos are definitely on par with each other.

The Mikado will be a fine model that will have a high level of detail and the same mechanics inside as a Spectrum model. Here is a "teaser" for those who don't believe me. This is a pre-production model from a few months ago - the actual production model will be even nicer.

So if you will only buy this one if it has a "Spectrum" label on the box you will be missing out on a beautiful, high quality locomotive!

BaltoOhioRRfan

The 2-6-0 model appears to be missing eather ladders or a pilot deck. Fix that it would be a nice model.

As for the Mikado...whats stopping me from getting one, simiple, B&O is only being offered with sound. I don't do sound so why pay for a sound model just to take the sound decoder out? Offer it without sound and it be DCC ready i'll strongly think about getting one.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

rogertra

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on April 06, 2015, 08:43:29 PM
The 2-6-0 model appears to be missing eather ladders or a pilot deck. Fix that it would be a nice model.

Adding the missing pilot deck and whistle, yes, it doesn't have a whistle and a better looking headlight is quite simple, I've done it on my two.  What it also needs is boiler bands.

This photo shows engine before the whistle was added to the fireman's side of the steam dome and I've yet to add boiler bands.

While the 2-6-0 is a good running loco, it's these missing and or poor details on locos like the 2-6-0 that have me worried over why the 2-8-2 will not be to Spectrum "quality".

Cheers

Roger T.